Bass Fishing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
y'all i cant decide where to fish saturday so i'll let yall decide for me!

the choices (in no particular order) are -
decker
bastrop
travis
austin
belton
stillhouse
fayette

help me out please!
thanks

· Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Haha, boy y'all are all over the map, literally!

as for bastrop i can tell you exactly what will work. watermelon seed or california 420 colored creature baits on the shallow side of hydrilla in the morning or on the deep side of eel grass later in the day!

my first thought was travis or bastrop because i know i will catch fish. i have a family member who guides on travis and he's been doing really well...
BUT
lake austin has ALWAYS been tough for me and i want to conquer that lake (plus last time i was out there i lost a monster)

still, i am going to go with the will of the people, but at this point no lake has received more than one vote!

· Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, y'all voted...and there wasnt a clear cut #1 so i went with my original plan and hit austin. austin hit back....hard!

let me try to post my best impersonation of Jeremy -

i reached the ramp right about 7, but the overcast sky made it feel more like 630. i launched at quinlan park mainly because i am a cheap guy. as i got on plane i immediately encountered a wake boarder, "at 7am?!" i thought, but hey i guess everyone gets up early to beat the crowd. he HAD to be cold even in the wet suit. i made the run to the south end of the lake without encountering another boat. i meant to time it, but i was so excited that when i came off plane i forgot to check the time. i estimate about 15 minutes. wouldn't you know i encountered the second boat sitting exactly where i planned to begin? no worries, it's a big enough lake. i began at the north side of the mouth of that last cove. i figured the crawfish are turning darker and it's time for the bass to begin gorgin on them so i started out tossing a crawfish crank, then a shad jerk bait, a red/black creature and got nada. the other angler must have been shut out as well because he soon moved. "aaahhhh" i thought to myself. "he obviously wasnt fishing it correctly because there is always fish there." not today, bubba. not today. i even went drop shot with no success. so i moved up river a tad to where the summer time lily pads grow. i hoped to get in on some pre-spawn fatties waiting to move to shallower water. i stopped at the outside edge of the point and set my troller to auto-pilot and moved along the shore to the other side of the island fishing deep to shallow, then shallow to deep then parallel to the bank. when i reached the other side of the island i tossed across the point and got one short strike on the craw crank. with that little glimmer of hope i got excited, but i was to be disappointed not getting another sniff on any of the baits i had tied on. a yakker came down the bank in the opposite direction tossing an a-rig without success. he too was having a rough morning with no takers on anything.

ok, let's move to the marina about 500yds up river and toss a pearl fluke, then that craw crank, then a california 420 creature, one of my favorite colors. nope.

ok, now i'm worried. it's still overcast and i can't find any fish and i mean ANY. i'm not even picking anything up on live scope.

made the move further up river and hesitated at the canals for a second before deciding to move to deeper docks which is kind of a misnomer on austin, but what the hey. still no joy. i decided to move to an area that had SOME grass (not much) last summer only to find there was no grass. i guess there are still carp in the lake.

time for full scale change over!

craw creature changed to 7" screw tail worm shortened to 3" including the tail which was spiked garlic yellow and i lightened the weight to a 1/16 t-rig. craw crank was changed to shad crank. i went with a smoke underspin with a smoke paddle attached instead of the jerk bait and moved to some rocky shoreline. nothing doing. by now there are a couple of wake boats cruising up and down the lake for no good reason other than to toss huge wakes. they're not even towing anyone.

one more spot to try. lets find some water where the rock transitions to soft bottom. they MUST be there since they aren't anywhere else, right?

i get a text at 11:30 from the spousal unit saying she is headed home from her charity event so i forego my last ditch desperate hail mary hope (the golf course) and head to the ramp. as i sped past the dock/inlet where i lost a monster last summer it took everything i had NOT to stop. after all, i had the exact set up tied on that she hit. maybe she forgot there's a hook attached? aw heck. i gotta keep moving. the missus has been working this charity thing for nearly two weeks and i havent seen her for more than a few minutes in that amount of time.

back on the road around 12:30 with nothing to show for my efforts except this story.

as i motor toward 620 my brain says "you're literally minutes away from mansfield. you KNOW you can catch a few right away!", but i decide to do the good husband thing and instead of turning left i turn right and head to see my sweetie.

there's always next weekend.

· Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
austin has plenty of places protected from the wind so it may be a good choice. i know there are fish in the lake and GOOD ones, but i couldnt find them. one day i will beat that lake, but yesterday austin as the globetrotters to my generals.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts