Bass Fishing Forum banner

41 - 60 of 144 Posts

·
Registered
5,072 Posts
I think your on the right track. Hope your credit is good.

I was talking to Tmart while we were fishing the T about our next boats. When he told me what his requirements were I said mine were almost identical so I would just buy whatever boat he did. :)

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
well, what are your requirements?

my credit could buy me a boat i couldnt even afford to own! i really gotta be careful about how much i spend because flawless credit is one thing i do have on my side. unfortunatly that just makes it a little easier to bite off more than i can chew financially. i'd really like to keep it under $40,000 if i can, but if the right boat came along and i was in the right situation i'd probably be inclined to spend that much. it seems like i could probably get close to what i want for that price in a model as new as 2010, but ill probably have to settle for something much older?

that raises another question. at what age does a boat become questionable? i dont wanna buy what seems like the perfect boat for the perfect price and realize soon after that im having to replace everything as it fails from normal wear and age!

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
this seems like something i'd be interested in, but its at the very top of my budget, it doesnt have a very good listing of the features so im not sure what i get and it doesnt have the motor i want. and what could i expect from a boat thats 6 years old with 148 hours? should i be more concerned with age or hours???

Shallow Sport 2006 24V

·
Registered
10,702 Posts
well, what are your requirements?

my credit could buy me a boat i couldnt even afford to own! i really gotta be careful about how much i spend because flawless credit is one thing i do have on my side. unfortunatly that just makes it a little easier to bite off more than i can chew financially. i'd really like to keep it under $40,000 if i can, but if the right boat came along and i was in the right situation i'd probably be inclined to spend that much. it seems like i could probably get close to what i want for that price in a model as new as 2010, but ill probably have to settle for something much older?

that raises another question. at what age does a boat become questionable? i dont wanna buy what seems like the perfect boat for the perfect price and realize soon after that im having to replace everything as it fails from normal wear and age!
Good questions. We bought our 235 JH (2005) with 150 yammy TRP for 20K in 2010 from a friend who originally paid 40K in 2005. I think 50% depreciation over 5 years is about average for a well kept unabused boat. I would be cautious buying used boats from (young) guides or tourny fishermen who run their boats WOT 6000 rpms for 30 miles at a run. Those engines will blow early, even yammy's. Now if you fish with a guide and notice that he cruises at 3500-4000 rpms during your trip, then you might consider buying that boat used, but I bet that guide will have grey hair like me. So consider how the boat was used and who ran it. If you have a responsible owner who kept records of all service, lower unit oil changes, impellers, etc. and he seems reliable, then I'd have no problem buying a 5-8 yr old boat of the size you seek for 20K. Be cautious of the 2 yr old majek extreme with 250 hp guide boat that has won 7 of the last 10 redfish series tournaments; those heads are about to bust. Consider how many hours are logged on the motor too: less is better. We bought ours with less than 200 hrs, and have now logged another 300 with no powerhead problems. But we cruise <4000 rpms. You should be able to find a good 2007 or younger in the 20-30K range.

·
Registered
10,702 Posts
this seems like something i'd be interested in, but its at the very top of my budget, it doesnt have a very good listing of the features so im not sure what i get and it doesnt have the motor i want. and what could i expect from a boat thats 6 years old with 148 hours? should i be more concerned with age or hours???

Shallow Sport 2006 24V
That is one of the best and shallowest running big boats made. I don't know much about the modern Evinrudes, maybe ask Bob Walden, but the older ones are great. If truly 148 hrs, that engine has been lightly used and may be a great deal. There's also a concern of too little use between trips, in which seals may harden, but I'd still favor a low hr engine over won with 900 hrs. Certainly worth having a mechanic check it out, and offer 35K.

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Yep, that is one impressive boat for sure. I fished with a guy in one of those and we ran from Pringle to a bunch of back lakes that arent even mapped and came out near Pats bay. Pretty cool to look behind the boat and see no water, just mud.

·
Registered
10,702 Posts
Yep, that is one impressive boat for sure. I fished with a guy in one of those and we ran from Pringle to a bunch of back lakes that arent even mapped and came out near Pats bay. Pretty cool to look behind the boat and see no water, just mud.
That's really cool so long as the captain knows where to find more muddy water and less dry land! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
Man, that's a nice boat but $35K for a 6 yr old boat? Does that mean (based on your 50% depreciation comment above) that a boat like this sales for $70K new?

·
Registered
10,702 Posts
Man, that's a nice boat but $35K for a 6 yr old boat? Does that mean (based on your 50% depreciation comment above) that a boat like this sales for $70K new?
Yes, or more.That's why I've never bought a "new " boat and never will. The first year depreciation is 20-30%. Why not let her age. At least like a cheap wine?

·
Registered
5,347 Posts
Holy cow that sounds awesome

·
Registered
10,702 Posts
Matt we're still learning the interconnecting creeks between the back back lakes. It's best to learn them during spring and fall when the tides are higher on average. There's lots of good water back in there....

·
Registered
5,347 Posts
Matt we're still learning the interconnecting creeks between the back back lakes. It's best to learn them during sring and fall when the tides are higher on average. There's lots of good water back in there....
Man I would love to make it to the back back lakes some day soon. It would be just fun to be there, regardless if the fish are there. not sure the nitro can do it. I need a foot to run. Love the less charted waters

·
Registered
10,702 Posts
Man I would love to make it to the back back lakes some day soon. It would be just fun to be there, regardless if the fish are there. not sure the nitro can do it. I need a foot to run. Love the less charted waters
Ride with me some day in the green Manalishi (G3). That's our "exploring" boat. Run around with the plate up skinny and figure out where the deeper draft boats can make it. Sometimes not as much fishing time, but the education is worthwhile.

·
Registered
5,347 Posts
Ride with me some day in the green Manalishi (G3). That's our "exploring" boat. Run around with the plate up skinny and figure out where the deeper draft boats can make it. Sometimes not as much fishing time, but the education is worthwhile.
green manalishi with the two pronged crown. I'd love to bro. reckon that's a warmer weather pattern?

·
Registered
10,702 Posts
Yes, but actually you can find them stacked in muddy back lakes in winter, trying to stay warm on the mud warmed bottoms. There are lots of good times to run back in there. It's just cool to explore. Finding a bunch of tailing reds is just bonus.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Matt we're still learning the interconnecting creeks between the back back lakes. It's best to learn them during spring and fall when the tides are higher on average. There's lots of good water back in there....
That sounds awesome. The one guided trip I took down there was like that. He obviously knew what he was doing as we were hauling ass in inches of water going through cuts and marshes. Almost as much fun as the fishing. I need to do that again....

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
I've been enjoying this thread because I plan to spend the next couple of years researching and planning for my next boat. So in looking at some of these, I've been reading about a tendency to backspin or tailspin? Specifically I've read that the Explorer has a tendency to do this. I'm not sure if I'm using the right term but essentially it's where in a turn the back of the boat spins around and throws people off the boat. Ro, have you encountered this?

·
Registered
6,502 Posts
I've been enjoying this thread because I plan to spend the next couple of years researching and planning for my next boat. So in looking at some of these, I've been reading about a tendency to backspin or tailspin? Specifically I've read that the Explorer has a tendency to do this. I'm not sure if I'm using the right term but essentially it's where in a turn the back of the boat spins around and throws people off the boat. Ro, have you encountered this?
Ya, it's scary ****.... The boats ability to spin around has everything to do with the type of pocket design in the back of the boat. I have never experienced it but have witnessed close encounters and heard the horror stories of people getting tossed from boats. I know some models of New Water boats, Explorer, and similar designs with pocket hulls where having issues (that I believe have been corrected). But it also depends how you drive your boat. Often the "Spin-out" will occur when cornering hard and the pocket is blown out at the rear of the boat causing it to lose bite and spin around. Since these boats don't have a "V" shape running the length of the boat, the pocket uses suction (if you will) to keep the rear of the boat planted. When cornering hard, air can become intrapped in the pocket causing it to lose suction (and steering).

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
That sounds awesome. The one guided trip I took down there was like that. He obviously knew what he was doing as we were hauling ass in inches of water going through cuts and marshes. Almost as much fun as the fishing. I need to do that again....
It's pretty incredible where these boats will go. I never would have believed it had I not witnessed it with my own eyes. It is however one hell of a way to get your ass in a load of trouble.
We were running in 4-6 inches of water and saw massive schools of redfish in one of those out of the way back lakes, but no place to put the boat down. If you get stuck back there, with no cell phone service, there wont be any boats coming by for you to flag down. Even if there was, they likely cant stop. It's best to run back there in low tide incase you get stuck, then maybe you can get out when high tide comes in.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Shawn that has to happen fairly often. I imagine you could be seriously stuck for awhile. It would be impossible to push or pull a heavy ass boat out of the mud. I guess just wait for the tide to float you out? Ever hear of people getting stranded? I guess the lesson would be to have a cooler full of beer and plenty of chips on board at all times.

41 - 60 of 144 Posts