Bass Fishing Forum banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Banned
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I finally got a chance to complete my motor tear down and rebuild this weekend.  She started right up and purred at 700 rpms for 15 minutes while I checked all of the oil lines, fuel rails, injectors, and sensors to ensure all was good.  I also bought the Yamaha Outboard motor diagnostic tool (similar to OBDII for cars) to connect my laptop to the motor.  This allowed me to monitor the sensors and immediately notice any error codes if they were to arise.  The tool has a lot of nice features for performing individual component tests on the motor while it is running or just the key in the on position.  It will also inform you of the number of hours on the motor, etc.  My motor had 244 hrs on it when the #4 cylinder went.  I spent the extra $600 in parts to go ahead and replace the fuel injector, all thermo sensors, and reseat the fuel injectors on the port side with new gaskets.  It's been a great learning experience and I'd be glad to share the info I've learned as it's needed.  Just shoot me a PM or whatever.  I can also use my Yamaha outboard motor diagnostics and monitoring tool with the laptop on most Yamaha motors today.  Just give me a shout if you don't want to have to drag your boat to the dealer.  I will gladly help you out in exchange for a beer and small contribution towards the $250 cost of the tool.

Thanks again for all the support.  I now begin the process of idling around for hours to break in the new piston/rings.  Fortunately I'll be able to monitor all of the engine parameters on my laptop while doing so to be sure everything is going smoothly.

http://s85.photobucket.com/albums/k79/SilverL67/Yamaha/?action=view&current=MOV00925.flv

-Rich

·
Banned
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Thanks, Swimbait! I couldn't have done it without your references and contacts. I sincerely appreciate it.

I'd like to hang onto the manual until I'm past the break-in period. I'll make sure you get it back. I'm going to order me one to have for the future as well.

-Rich

21 - 23 of 23 Posts