Bass Fishing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was looking into doing a trip around Easter from Montopolis Bridge to Bastrop on the Colorado.(3 days, 2 nights?) Anybody have any experience with such an endeavor? Im pretty well versed in the ways of backpacking, but this would be my first overnighter with the yak. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I love overnight Yak trips. Honestly one of my favorite ways to spend my time. All I have to say to you is ask yourself "do i really need this?" The experience is the whole trip so you want to balance things out. Bring enough so your not constantly hungry, cold, getting destroyed by bugs, or in serious danger in case of a medical emergency. With that said, you're also going on a KAYAK trip so make sure you have fun on the kayak too. There is nothing less fun than constantly bumping things in your kayak, having your legs crammed while paddling, losing things off the side of the boat, etc. Its really just trial and error but thats part of the fun! Hope you have great weather and a safe trip! TIGHT LINES!!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I love overnight Yak trips. Honestly one of my favorite ways to spend my time. All I have to say to you is ask yourself "do i really need this?" The experience is the whole trip so you want to balance things out. Bring enough so your not constantly hungry, cold, getting destroyed by bugs, or in serious danger in case of a medical emergency. With that said, you're also going on a KAYAK trip so make sure you have fun on the kayak too. There is nothing less fun than constantly bumping things in your kayak, having your legs crammed while paddling, losing things off the side of the boat, etc. Its really just trial and error but thats part of the fun! Hope you have great weather and a safe trip! TIGHT LINES!!
Thanks for the tips Matt. Backpacking has me pretty well suited for keeping supplies to a minimum, tackle and rods on the other hand :33:

My biggest concern is knowing the distance we would cover. What would you say cover in a day? 8 miles? 10? From Montop to Big Webberville Park is 25 miles, I think 2 nights/ 3 days SHOULD be ample time for such an endeavor.

·
Registered
205 Posts
i think it depends on the river flow. Also, after doing 2 overnights, bring lots of water, and limit your rods to your 2 favorites and one spare if it will fit inside your yak. Lighter fluid and bug spray are also a must.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i think it depends on the river flow. Also, after doing 2 overnights, bring lots of water, and limit your rods to your 2 favorites and one spare if it will fit inside your yak. Lighter fluid and bug spray are also a must.
This is my solution to backpacking, should make for a pretty nice setup being on the river. download.jpg download.jpg Thanks for the tips!

·
Registered
14 Posts
How did it go? I haven't logged on here in a while so missed this. We typically do several weeks of overnight kayaking trips per year, Local Colorado, Village Creek over by Houston, Devil's River, and up in Colorado and Quetico Canada. If there's anything you didn't figure out yourself, let me know.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks to Badavis86’s travel report, I think I will arrange a trip to Basrop in the near future. Your report really gave me great advice. The travel equipment I brought is here. Can you take a look

1 - 8 of 8 Posts