Bass Fishing Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I braved the cold weather and headed out to the tank this morning. It was around 32 degrees when I got on the water at 10am. With ice forming on the rod guides and my feet and fingers numb I began to regret the trip almost immediately until I caught the first fish.  :) Turned out it was worth the trip. Boated 4 fish in all, smallest 3.5, largest 5lbs and missed a couple more good ones. I got pics of 3 of the fish before my camera batteries died. All caught on a bomber crank in crawfish pattern. The 5lb bled a bit as she tried to swallow the crank. Got her unhooked and she swam away just fine though.  ;)

4.3lbs

3.5lbs

5lbs

5lbs (same fish)

BTW- the fish that I missed were due to "reel spin". As in I was reeling in the fish and would pause yet the brake on the reel did not work and the spool spun freely which created slack in the line and allowed the fish to get off. Any ideas on what to do about that? Do I just need to clean the reel again?

D

·
Registered
4,337 Posts
Nice fish and pics. You are brave to be in the yak in these temps. Bravo!

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
Nice going Don, you deserve a few good ones for braving this cold in a yak. ;) Sounds like you might have a problem with your drag, sometimes they need to be rebuilt. Also, your spool could be breaking loose from the crankshaft. Might be time for a reel overhaul.

John

·
Registered
707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
65313430626A6E000 said:
Nice fish.  And seriously,not to be a smart a**. Go buy a Shimano Curado and it will solve all your problems.  Not sure what kind of reel (spinning/baitcaster) or brand you are using, but sounds like it is at the end of its life.  Is is a Quantum?  If so that is the problem.
It's a Abu Garcia baitcaster. Only about 4 months old, that's why I was surprised to be having issues with it. Will give it a good cleaning tonight to see if that does the trick.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.