Bass Fishing Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I'm new to the forum; just found it while scouring the internet for a used older bass boat. I've been hitting CL just about every day as well as dealers that list used boats online.

I've only got $5K-$7K to spend so I realize my options are pretty limited. I've looked at ~10 in the area so far. I'm also willing to drive to Dallas, San Antonio, or Houston for a good deal. I'd like to keep the motor at or above 90hp, so that's been putting boats made between 1990-2000 in my price range.

Do you know of anyone who's in the market to unload their older boat? Maybe they're looking to upgrade and want more than what a dealer might show them for it?

My current boat is a 1976 VIP w/85hp Merc that I'll be looking to get $1,000 for. It's got all new wiring (12v) and is a good boat. I'd just really like something a little newer and better-looking.

Thanks for reading and any suggestions!

Regards,
CD

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Got my fingers crossed...I happened into a possibility over the weekend and I'm pretty hopeful about it. It's a 2000 Triton 17ft in fantastic shape...1 owner, kept garaged, carpet and seats in incredible condition, and the motor is as clean as a whistle. The Merc is only a 90hp, but at this time I really don't need more. And the boat is in such great shape that it seems to be a really sweet deal at $6,500. I've checked it out in person and it looks great. The owner is taking me out in it on Sunday and if everything goes well it may turn out to be exactly what I'm looking for.

·
Premium Member
3,640 Posts
Sounds like it has good potential, make sure you have a through checklist of things to go over when you hit the water with the boat.

That boat should do low to mid 40's loaded out, it will definitely get you from A to B and good fish-ability.

1MOFISH has a 17 foot Triton that fishes very well, and he peg's it out at around 44 loaded (2 people and gear).

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hate to sound like an idiot here, but what are the sort of things I should be looking for on the checklist? In my mind I was thinking speed (like you said, low 40s), running lights, bilge pump, livewells, fishfinder & trolly, lights on the trailer... and that's about it. What else do I need to look for? Other than no obvious damage/repairs? Any advice is really appreciated. This is only the second boat I've bought and I didn't do too great a job with the first one. :/

·
Premium Member
3,640 Posts
You don't sound like an idiot at all, that's a pretty solid list, other things maybe to add:

-Do a solid check around the hull while on the trailer (if you haven't already)
-Push on the motor (just above the prop) a little and make sure the boat transom is sturdy
-Test as much as humanly possible while on the water and walk on the front and rear decks to check for weak spots.
-Tire status, hubs, running board status, etc.

Again, you have a good checklist and you shouldn't have to much trouble getting into something you'll be happy with.

If you really want to make sure your investing your money in a solid boat I'd give Jim (MobileMercMan) a call and he will meet you at a ramp and go over the motor for you. It's well worth the time and money before you hand over your cash and finalize the deal. I'm on my second boat and Jim checked the motor on the 2 boats I considered before I bought, well worth knowing your not buying problems IMO.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Great tips - thanks, I will include those things in the checklist. I found Jim on the web and will give him a call as well. Can't thank you enough for the advice. I'll follow up with a post on how it went. I really appreciate it!

·
Registered
374 Posts
Hey you might give cliff at Texas Boat World a call, he has a few that might meet your needs. They are offering some really good deals on used boats right now.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Made an offer on a Skeeter today; was turned down...the guy wants $500 more than I can spend. Heart-breaker there as it was a nice, nice boat. The search goes on...

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thrilled to say I'm now the owner of a mint condition Skeeter SS 150.  This is my first real bass boat and I'm grinning like a fool.

Thanks everyone for all the good advice and suggestions.  Much appreciated!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts