Bass Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to buy a decent starter gun. Never owned a handgun before, but have been thinking about doing the CHL class for a couple years now. If anyone has something they wouldn't mind parting with, I am open to most possibilities. No preference on revolver or semi, but .22s need not apply.

· Registered
15 Posts
I would strongly suggest seeking out a 9mm semi auto from a decent company such as glock springfield hk sig...etc. Generally you get what you pay for with handguns. The 9mm is low recoiling round that performs very well down range. It is widely available and low cost relative to other calibers. I am an HK guy myself(carry one on duty). PM me if you have any questions about brand ETC. Check out Texas Gun Trader.

· Registered
95 Posts
i have a never fired glock 32 which is 357 sig, hits hard and very fast. ill sell you that plus a box of pers defense ammo and a range bag for 500. its the compact model would be great for chl, plus if you get you cert with revolver then thats what you have to carry if you get it with semi auto then you can carry either or. im in austin let me know if youre interested

· Registered
904 Posts
Is the gun your going to qualify with the same gun you are going to carry? If so make sure its a right fit for you as far as easy to conceal.
You would be suprised how uncomfortable a larger gun feels while sitting.... at lease for me. I qualified with a 9mm but carry two 380's.
Just make sure it's the right fit....
Debbie

· Registered
106 Posts
Haven't seen it suggested, but if you are a little larger framed shooter, why not a Sig, 229 (Compact), or 226 (Full size) or even a 220 "Carry" (.45 only)? A little more expensive but in my experience, ultra reliable and comfortable to shoot. Their DA/SA models do not feature a safety but rather a decocker and a transfer bar disconnect to keep the firearm from discharging if dropped on a down hammer. SA models have the standard safety and allowed for condition one (Hammer cocked, safety on) carry.

For most Sigs you can also get a .22 conversion that will allow you to practice without breaking the bank and still have the same feel (Platform, controls, etc). Practice is important as handgun skills are very perishable.

There is really no such thing as a "starter" gun. Buy the best you can afford for the task at hand.

I suggest spending a day at Red's renting and trying out their range guns to decide what you like.

· Registered
284 Posts
Hey Trey, I have a flawless G26 9mm, sub-compact, 3 or 4 mags, all with pinky ext, night sights, etc. that was one of the firearms I carried when I had my CHL. I have to pay for an engagement ring so I may be able to let it go depending on ur budget. You said $500 was more than you were wanting to pay, so hit me up in an IM and let me know what all you are considering.

I was 23 when I got my CHL and spent COUNTLESS hours in multiple forums researching the differnt laws across the states, different calibers and opinions, and it did help narrow my search, but nothing helped like actually getting the chance to practice with what I thought I was interested in getting. You can ask 10 different people about carrying and you will get 10 different answers and philosophies. It will depend 100% on what you feel comfortable shooting and what you personally like as a firearm. I had the budget for an HK, thought they looked cool and all that jazz. Turns out they dont fit right in my hands so I now have other stuff. Lots of factors to consider.

My $0.02

~BE

· Registered
95 Posts
10mm and 45acp are good cals but better in an outside carry situation, you lose amount of ammo you can carry as well. that is one benefit of the 357sig in a semiauto choice. it hits harder than a 45 or 10mm and penetrates further.

· Registered
1,382 Posts
3D293E34353D293E3A305B0 said:
10mm and 45acp are good cals but better in an outside carry situation, you lose amount of ammo you can carry as well. that is one benefit of the 357sig in a semiauto choice. it hits harder than a 45 or 10mm and penetrates further.
A 45 has almost twice the knockdown of a 357 sig. Not the speed or penetration of the sig. However, a357 sig will NOT penetrate further than a 10mm. Not an arguement here, just experience. And if I need a bunch rounds to take care of business than I'm screwed anyway. If you are carrying, you are not shooting to injure, you are shooting to kill. Good luck with you decision. It is never fun if it were to come to that level.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.