Bass Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have to agree with a few others that the type of activity that we used to have on this site has died off. I know I have not contributed much, but I have not been able to go fishing for a long time. Do you feel this way? What do you think is the problem and what to do to correct this down turn?

M F

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
It's obviously a combination of factors. I think the primary culprit is just the fact that traffic is flowing elsewhere though. There used to be a lot of traffic here from guys that are part of the TTZ crew or guys who fished TTZ events. TTZ has really put forth an effort into making their forum more active and a lot of those guys are spending more time on that site now and just occasionally checking in here. The TTZ forum really isn't crazy busy, but now you are basically splitting the "usual" traffic between here and there. The other big one in my opinion is Facebook. Facebook seems to attract most of the new traffic. Folks spend so much time on Facebook now that instead of doing a search for "Bass Fishing in Austin" in Google, they just search on Facebook and find any number of groups they can post to (such as "Keep Austin Fishing"). They get quite a bit of traffic on the Keep Austin Fishing group. Then there's Texas Fishing Forum, but they've been around for a long time. I don't think they've necessarily pulled traffic away from here. Folks who have come here instead of TFF seem to do so for a reason. Personally, I've had my beef with the TFF mods plus TFF is TOO busy for me. You can't keep up with anything on that forum.

Anyway, just my observations. What can be done to keep ABF alive? Not really sure, and unfortunately, I don't care enough. haha. I certainly think this site is on its way out and there's not much that can be done to save it. Maybe I'm wrong.

·
Registered
485 Posts
It's obviously a combination of factors. I think the primary culprit is just the fact that traffic is flowing elsewhere though. There used to be a lot of traffic here from guys that are part of the TTZ crew or guys who fished TTZ events. TTZ has really put forth an effort into making their forum more active and a lot of those guys are spending more time on that site now and just occasionally checking in here. The TTZ forum really isn't crazy busy, but now you are basically splitting the "usual" traffic between here and there. The other big one in my opinion is Facebook. Facebook seems to attract most of the new traffic. Folks spend so much time on Facebook now that instead of doing a search for "Bass Fishing in Austin" in Google, they just search on Facebook and find any number of groups they can post to (such as "Keep Austin Fishing"). They get quite a bit of traffic on the Keep Austin Fishing group. Then there's Texas Fishing Forum, but they've been around for a long time. I don't think they've necessarily pulled traffic away from here. Folks who have come here instead of TFF seem to do so for a reason. Personally, I've had my beef with the TFF mods plus TFF is TOO busy for me. You can't keep up with anything on that forum.

Anyway, just my observations. What can be done to keep ABF alive? Not really sure, and unfortunately, I don't care enough. haha. I certainly think this site is on its way out and there's not much that can be done to save it. Maybe I'm wrong.
Maybe change the name from Austin Bass Fishing to Amateur Bass Fishing which describes me more than anything else. I joined this forum to learn from others and contribute what little information I can. With the recent rains there has not been much Austin fishing and therefore no reports but even before that very few posts have been made that provide information for the betterment of people from Austin that fish for bass. Also I do not do Facebook so not sure if that venue provides a better forum for the amateur fisherman versus the tournament fisherman. Bottom line is that the ABF forums are not the only source of information but it would be nice to have a local source of information.

Also congratulations to Ander for his 2,000th post.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
The site has died down but it's still true to the form. Folks come here for info and tips on how to fish our lakes. There are still people on here that still contribute. The veterans are around but the antics have definitely slowed down

·
Registered
3,227 Posts
Well I left Facebook a while back...
Sounds like more are bailing out of here.
Man this site was cool.

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
Also I do not do Facebook so not sure if that venue provides a better forum for the amateur fisherman versus the tournament fisherman
My experience with the "Keep Austin Fishing" group Facebook page is that it is predominantly amateur fishermen with a handful of knowledgeable guys throwing in their tidbits. That's just the Keep Austin Fishing page though. There are lots of different pages on Facebook that can cater to either amateurs, experienced anglers, or both.

P.S. Stay away from Facebook if at all possible. haha. I hate social media, and it it weren't for the fact that I'm trying to run a business... I would shut down all of my social media pages in a heart beat.

·
Registered
535 Posts
I read the ABF once a day, usually the tips & tackle threads mostly because we're a manufacture. Over the last 4-5 yrs and these are just my personal observations I've noticed several "opportunities" that were missed that could've been used at the time to further this site. One would've been when Ike came and shot his show, me I would've hired a boat with a camera and followed him around all day and then post the video on here for the viewership to watch (without all of the commercials).
Then there's the obvious the drought and then the destruction of LA, in combination they forced many anglers to focus the majority of their fishing time on other area lakes ie LBJ and displaced Austin has the center.
I agree with several points made by others previously except for one that being the issue of facebook. It has been and will continue to be the main cog in our internet machine. I'd drop our company web site tomorrow if I could get away with it and just keep the FB page...bank.
Regarding the TFF, just like several other fishing web sites they've become nothing more than a small group of individuals who post repeatedly and are either pimping or expressing opinions or as we call it "dinner and a show", to read them is for entertainment only containing zero value other than a laugh.
Think I'll put some thought in to this today and focus on the OP.

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
I agree with several points made by others previously except for one that being the issue of facebook. It has been and will continue to be the main cog in our internet machine. I'd drop our company web site tomorrow if I could get away with it and just keep the FB page...bank.
Not sure if you were referring to what I said about FB or not, but perhaps you misunderstood me. I agree with you, and FB is indeed where all of the action is at. I was just saying I hate the fact that it is, and while there are some positive things about FB and other social media sites... overall, I don't believe they are doing society any favors. It's great for business, not so good for civilization. haha

·
Registered
535 Posts
Not sure if you were referring to what I said about FB or not, but perhaps you misunderstood me. I agree with you, and FB is indeed where all of the action is at. I was just saying I hate the fact that it is, and while there are some positive things about FB and other social media sites... overall, I don't believe they are doing society any favors. It's great for business, not so good for civilization. haha
In part...your points are well taken. I can't say that I hate the fact that FB is the format, I'm a control freak so it's the one area of public exposure where control is possible. In 5 yrs I've only deleted one post on our business page and that was from an individual who got upset with me on the TFF go figure and even then I left it for over week for anyone to see.
I'll be posting something later today to address the OP.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Ditto to what everyone else has already said. Another reason is that in the past even a novice fisherman could catch decent size fish on Lake Austin. Double digit fish were caught on a weekly or biweekly basis. Fisherman were excited to show off their fish, brag or talk about what was or not working for them. As the grass started to disappear on LA, so did the chatter on the site.

LA had an impact on how and where I wanted to fish. For example, about 4 years ago a group of my friends wanted me to hit Falcon with them. Yes it's a great lake, has double digit fish and I have fished it about 10 times. But I thought to myself, I can drive 15 minutes to LA or 7 hours each way to Falcon. Why drive 14 hours when the possibility to catch a double digit is in your back yard? Doh! Since the grass is gone on LA, that is no longer the case. Only fisherman really understand what the lake once was and the rest of the world is oblivious to the problem.

Less fish being caught = Less site activity. But I have been doing pretty well on Travis. So there's hope!!!!

·
Registered
290 Posts
JMO...but when a newbie asks a question(be it a dumb one or not) and gets hammered by the guys that have been on here for years makes them want to go else where. Some people think this site is theirs to spew at undeserving posters as a way to interact. I've seen it dozens of times. Again...JMO. I have not experienced any technical issues with the site from what I can think of. NEXT!

·
Banned
5,461 Posts
Don't let it get you down too much, ABF is in good hands with the new owners and having an annual password policy is a good thing. Honestly, if you can't take changing your password once a year then there are thousands of other places to go.

You should have seen the traffic ten years ago, it wasn't even worth measuring some days it was so small. Out of that came a core group of guys who loved to fish, have a good time and post about it on ABF. It was what made the site so successful. You had guys doing everything from in-depth fishing reports to product reviews to picture rich photo montages of killer fishing road trips to Falcon, Mexico, Colorado, etc. The key theme was and still is contribution.

Contrast that with the fact that while Facebook was exploding, it still hadn't found its way to the mainstream 20's and 30 somethings, so a social media outlet like ABF made perfect sense.

When I owned the joint we had regular meet ups/happy hours, working man tournament events, t-shirt and swag for sale as well as charity work we did from time to time for members that fell on hard times. The opportunity is still there, just takes somebody to stand up and take a lead. Even more so these days with social media, a community is what you make it. I met hundreds of ABF'ers in the day and I can count on one hand the douche bags I had to put up with. The vast majority where cool guys, just looking to fish, meet new people and learn as much as they can about chasing fish in Central Texas.

I am still in ATX all the time, if anybody wants to reignite a happy hour or get together the first one is on me. #Grouphugtime

·
Registered
26 Posts
So... I reset my password and saved the password ( so I thought ). So then I lock my account trying to log back in. So then I did a password reset after waiting 15 minutes. So then the link provided to reset the password didn't work. So I followed another process, then a form link. Neither of which worked. After watching several Tampax commercials trying to work the forms... cuz we all like to tolerate paid ads when trying to deal with a poorly working web site (who the hell uses ad driven human verification anyway- ReCaptcha... Hello?!?!)... and finally gave up after four tries. And no I am not contacting the admin. Maintaining my account isn't that important to me anymore, so I just created a new one.

I am with Ander and others one this one... perhaps it's just ABFs time to wither away. My initial argument (see post by PoppaHeinrich on the other thread) was that site content was lacking, and so was user engagement. Add a poorly working site to the mix and well..........

And by the way... I am not inclined to keep allowing Adobe Flash to run just to keep ads going, or resetting my password... or pretty much anything else.
Adblock man, Adblock...I don't see any ads on the internet anymore. I've never bought anything from a banner ad so I don't feel bad about having Adblock on even on sites that I like to support. Worth a try.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Don't let it get you down too much, ABF is in good hands with the new owners and having an annual password policy is a good thing. Honestly, if you can't take changing your password once a year then there are thousands of other places to go.

You should have seen the traffic ten years ago, it wasn't even worth measuring some days it was so small. Out of that came a core group of guys who loved to fish, have a good time and post about it on ABF. It was what made the site so successful. You had guys doing everything from in-depth fishing reports to product reviews to picture rich photo montages of killer fishing road trips to Falcon, Mexico, Colorado, etc. The key theme was and still is contribution.

Contrast that with the fact that while Facebook was exploding, it still hadn't found its way to the mainstream 20's and 30 somethings, so a social media outlook like ABF made perfect sense.

When I owned the joint we had regular meet ups/happy hours, working man tournament events, t-shirt and swag for sale as well as charity work we did from time to time for members that fell on hard times. The opportunity is still there, just takes somebody to stand up and take a lead. Even more so these days with social media, a community is what you make it. I met hundreds of ABF'ers in the day and I can count on one hand the douche bags I had to put up with. The vast majority where cool guys, just looking to fish, meet new people and learn as much as they can about chasing fish in Central Texas.

I am still in ATX all the time, if anybody wants to reignite a happy hour or get together the first one is on me. #Grouphugtime
You've got my signature for the happy hour meetup petition!

·
Registered
6,502 Posts
Pretty sure there are some stale BLimes in the fridge from '12 that you left in there, but ya, I agree with most everything Dubbya said. Except the douchebag thing, I probably need more than one hand.

I think society has created a self made monster when it comes to social media, so much heckling any more. I mean we used to call people online asshats and butthorns but we were drinking beer lakeside with them shoulder to shoulder a few hours later. That vibe definitely seems to be gone.

But in my humble opinion I think traffic has slowed considerably due to the lack of T&A and Fandangler reports.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts