Bass Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any info or suggestions for catching whites on the San Gabriel out in Granger? I live in Austin and my buddy wants to go out there tomorrow... Thanks in advance :)

·
Registered
593 Posts
I went yesterday. Seen a couple of stringers. About 20 cars not that crowded down by the water. I only stayed there for about 10min. I was just looking , very windy and I didn't bring my wanders.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I fished there a ton as a kid. Best bet is a small split shot a few feet above a light wire hook. Will lose a lot of tackle, but worth it. River minnows a must.

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
I may have to slip out there one day here pretty soon. Only issue is, I had a knee replacement and when I was two months out of surgery, I decided to take my boat out for a quick fishing trip and I may have messed something up. It has not been the same since. Therefore I've been laying low so I can get after some whites when it starts up good. But those steps are going to be a challenge. I will definitely be giving away my catch. I can not haul a load up the steps. But I may be able to get down there and have a blast just catching and releasing. I live for the white bass spawn. I've been doing this for 42 years straight now. I hope nothing happens to the point where I have to brake my 42 year record. Under normal circumstances, I would have already made several trips just to get a good feel on what all is going on and where the best part of the spawn will take place. But today I am forced to be a pot licker and wait till real good reports are being posted so the trip I do make will be worth my efforts. I'm suppose to be getting the left knee replaced as well, but I've decided to wait till it gets real hot outside and the fishing sucks before having it done. (That's if it holds up till then)

·
Registered
65 Posts
We went to the steps on the morning of 02/13 right at day break to get some fishing in before work. It was 27 degrees and I thought there was no way we'd get into fish, but ended up pulling in 4 big females in about 45 minutes. That's when I snapped that picture. We went out again on 02/16 at day break when it was 58 degrees and we didn't fare so well.. Mostly because I stepped on my buddy's rod. But the fish are there, they were hitting the surface last time I was out. This is my first time fishing the White run, I just moved to Austin this past summer, and it's a blast to catch those fish on a 4 wt rod. It is definitely combat fishing out there though, especially slinging a fly.

·
Registered
153 Posts
It is definitely combat fishing out there though, especially slinging a fly.
I've seen guys 5 abreast throwing flies in one pool while I hung out a bit away from them, one guy stepped out of the lineup and invited me into his spot. When they're there, there's plenty to go around and most people don't mind. I fished a really small hole with 2 buddies one time and it was funny how just slight differences in techniques and flies made a huge difference. Also been out there when guys with minnows couldn't buy a bite and I was hauling them in with sz 12-16 beadhead streamers, so I always take reports with a grain of salt, just because someone says no one is catching anything, doesn't mean they aren't there, just got to use the right gear.

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
I hit the steps last Friday with about forty five minutes to sunset. Picked up small whites. With a cold front bearing down on Texas once again, I made another trip on Saturday. Fished for three hours and ended up with nine.mostly small males. With my screwed up knees, I only fished two area's, or one could say four different spots. As long as I'm on a flat surface everything is okay. We need rain and warmer weather to get it going good. But yep, that old white bass fever got the best of me and I had to go give it a shot. I'll be going again when the water warms up a little. Until then, I'll be looking for good reports. LOL

I guess I'm not a poytlicker after all. I posted about two seperate trips. I can only hope for a better report next time.

A post above mentioned how one can pull fish from one small area. This is true. It's all about reading the current and positioning yourself just right so your artificial bait has the correct presentation to the fish. This is what triggers the bite. Just a few steps upstream or downstream casting into the same area gives your bait a whole different effect. And of course, this only applies while fishing in the current. Dead water is what it is, and that too requires a different approach with different presentation tactics.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts