Bass Fishing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw a few fish schooling on the surface out in the middle of the lake near City Park - they were hitting the top for about 5 minutes or so early in the AM. I wonder if they were white bass? Is there good white bass fishing in Lake Austin during the fall/winter?

·
Registered
471 Posts
Yes there are some whites in LA - you do not run into to them very often . I have only caught a few - mostly below Mansfield dam. Austin produced a few state record stripers several years ago, but they are pretty well gone. From the post it looks like some of the guys have run into schooling blacks lately - that may be what you saw. I have not seen them school on the upper half of the lake yet.

MF

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, I guess I'll start trolling some cranks in the middle, deeper water to see what happens. Back in March, I trolled crank baits in Travis while living in Spicewood and slayed the whites - Austin is smaller water, but I guess it's worth a shot.

·
Registered
707 Posts
I have caught whites and blacks schooling in the bull creek and 360 bridge area a couple times. Most recently at about 2:30 in the afternoon there were whites and blacks schooling in the shade under 360 bridge. This was about a week ago. They were hitting crank baits and rattle traps. Good luck!

D

·
Registered
5,366 Posts
I've caught many a white while fishing a grub at the bluffs. Just about any color seems to work, just throw it on an 1/8 oz jighead and let it sink about 10 ft before realing in.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Once I get my new outboard, I'll be out there trolling cranks by the rock cliffs. I'll let ya'll know what happens, unless I get skunked, then I won't let you know :'(

G

·
0 Posts
There are some monster whites on lake austin. Just find any submerged lights during the night and you'll have the time of your life!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts