Bass Fishing Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I plan on slaying some whites this year so I want some of you guys advice on the best way to fry them? family batters or special marinades... anything could help. I usually just dip mine in some apple cider vinegar for 10 minutes then coat with uncle bucks and light fry them. mmmmmm

·
Registered
10,702 Posts
Just had some tonight and they were good.  Didn't fry them this time.  Cooked them similar to the way I do speckled trout.  Sautee 6-8 chopped garlic cloves and 1/4 onion in 2-3 tbls olive oil until slightly brown, sprinkle lightly ground chipotle powder over the onion/garlic and stir.  Add fillets over this and cook for 2-3 minutes each side.  Add 2-3 tbls of cream at the end and shake pan to mix sauce, then serve immediately.

When frying, I like to dip each fillet in flour, then into beaten eggs, then into Panko, then fry in hot (350-380F) peanut oil.  The Kikkoman Panko seems better than Progresso Panko to me.  Good luck.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The sauteed sounds really good. I do my flounder and spanish mac similar to that just over a bed of spanish rice. Thats good info for the high heat fry because i have a massive fish fryer for big events but never pull it out because i cant get a good enough batter to cook the fish and not over cook the batter. thanks alot.

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
OK, which bodies of water do you trust the most as far as fish consumption? Thinking about catching some and trying to see if I can eat fish again.

Don't faint Chris ;D

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
Nice recipe, Robert! I'll have to try it. :)

My fave for specks would probably work good for whites, too.  

Melt a stick of butter on the stove. Brush some butter on a sheet pan, lay out some thin fillets, brush with more butter, sprinkle with salt and pepper, drizzle with lemon juice, and bake at 375' for about 12 minutes (longer if thicker). While they're baking, keep heating the butter on low until it starts to brown, then dump in a 1/2 cup or so of sliced almonds. Keep heating the butter/almonds until all the foam is gone and they're getting a nice roasted brown color. About then, the fish should be done baking. Plate the fillets with your favorite sides and top them with the brown butter/almonds.

;)

·
Registered
10,702 Posts
Yes, nuts and fish do well together go. Central Market sells a pecan-crusting mix to coat your fillets, but you can do it at home for less. I like the butter and almonds or pecans ideas you guys mentioned. Will try that and report. Making me hungry!

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
50606C7777336C336C33030 said:
OK, which bodies of water do you trust the most as far as fish consumption?  ;D
Only questionable fish I've seen/tasted locally were out of Granger. Might have been a fluke, be saw some discoloration/parasites on some fish caught there a couple of years ago.

I'm quite fond of the flavor/appearance of fish from Travis. For cats, nothing beats a Travis blue, IMO.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
484456514C424256250 said:
I plan on slaying some whites this year so I want some of you guys advice on the best way to fry them? family batters or special marinades... anything could help. I usually just dip mine in some apple cider vinegar for 10 minutes then coat with uncle bucks and light fry them. mmmmmm
Rub the fillets down in mustard and refrigerate for a couple of hours.  Coat with Louisiana Seasoned Fish Fry, and fry for 3 1/2 - 4 mins at 350 degrees.  Be sure to pull the "fin meat" off the top of any fillets when cleaning the fish.  The fin meat give fish it's "fishy taste".

Cheat and get you a bag of jalapeno hush puppies at HEB to compliment along with a sixer of Corona Lite w/lime!

Wurm

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
man wurm that sounds really good. I will have to try that with this crappie i have frozen in my freezer. I wish I could buy walleye down here. I miss the walleye run. Good eatin.

stiggs

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
I still like the old fashion way myself. Roll em in corn meal and fry till they float. I’ve tried several other recipes and the old fashion one is still my favorite. All of these other spices seem to take away the fishy taste that crave so much, but add some home made hush puppies and the fish fry is on.

·
Registered
10,702 Posts
Nothing wrong with the old-fashioned cornmeal fish fry.  Probably one of the best ways to compare flavors of different fish too, for example, if you've caught some crappie, whites, and catfish.  Just prepare them each in cornmeal, and the subtle differences are easier to detect without extra flavors overbearing.  I like some jalapeno poppers with the hushpuppies too.  Yum.
;)

Sounds like we might want to have the annual fish fry a little earlier this year, maybe right after some white bass fishing, to get the best possible flavor from the whites.  Probably be a little cooler if we do it in March instead of June like last year.  We might actually consider having each person that wants to above prepare some fish with their recipes so that we could all sample the different ways?  Sorta like a chili cook-off, only with fish.  What do you say Ranger R77? Others interested?

·
Registered
9,795 Posts
What do you say Ranger R77
Certainly...We normally have the fish fry around the time the bass are schooling on Lake Bastrop...

However, we can always have a Springtime White Bass Fish Fry!!!! With the lakes back to near normal, we could have it on Lake Travis or Georgetown or ??

I am so hungry after reading this post...LOL...

I usually trim the red blood line out...and deep fry them within 3 days of catching. I use peanut oil at 350 degrees. And lightly batter them with Louisiana fish fry..

Here are some other white bass recipes...

http://sports.espn.go.com/outdoors/general/columns/story?columnist=sutton_keith&id=4020840

and

http://texasfishingforum.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/2576626/white_bass_recipe

·
Registered
933 Posts
If you want a little appitizer while the fish is frying, put some crab boil in boiling water cut white bass into chunks and boil for 1min. NO LONGER! Take fish out and dip into melted butter. Tastes like Lobster almost. This can only work with bass. Catfish and crappie will be too flakey.

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
647B776467637F65160 said:
Just had some tonight and they were good.  Didn't fry them this time.  Cooked them similar to the way I do speckled trout.  Sautee 6-8 chopped garlic cloves and 1/4 onion in 2-3 tbls olive oil until slightly brown, sprinkle lightly ground chipotle powder over the onion/garlic and stir.  Add fillets over this and cook for 2-3 minutes each side.  Add 2-3 tbls of cream at the end and shake pan to mix sauce, then serve immediately.
Hey RO,

We just finished dinner using this recipe.  :D  YUM!

My wife bumped up the garlic a bit, and I used chili powder instead of chipotle. We served it with fresh green beans and some Zatarain's yellow rice. (Does Zatarain's make anything that doesn't just rock?!)

Anyway...quite content now.   :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
I plan on slaying some whites this year so I want some of you guys advice on the best way to fry them? family batters or special marinades... anything could help. I usually just dip mine in some apple cider vinegar for 10 minutes then coat with uncle bucks and light fry them. pancetta
fist consume more oil and water its dont need to fry hard if you could get it out from water quickly

1 - 19 of 19 Posts