Bass Fishing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Out fishing at sunset, got 2 white bass w/in a couple minutes of each other. Figured these guys may have spilled over since the gates are open.

Is there a steady population of White Bass in Town Lake or are they random and non-sustainable in this body of water.

Just curious.

·
Registered
61 Posts
There's a small but steady population, I'd say.

In cold weather, they jam into barton creek in schools right at sunset, it's cool to see.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Had a similar experience a few weeks ago on Town lake as well.... was fishing for Black bass but found myself on the kayak in the middle of a feeding school of Whites, Stripped and Hybrid mixed... really cool to have fish hitting the surface all around the Yak....caught over a dozen in about 20 min, some really nice Hybrids and Whites and even caught one undersized stripped. I am under the inpression there must be good numbers in Town lake because the Whites have got to have very little fishing pressure out there

·
Registered
104 Posts
I've never ran into any on town lake. Different story on lake Austin. What area of town lake, you don't have to be too specific, do you generally find them?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was over near the Tom Miller damn. Flood gates were open and the water was really moving. Like trentflanders says above, top water action started, so tossed into it. It's the first I've ever caught of them in TL, so don't know how common of a site that is.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
I've caught whites on occasion on LBL as well. Mostly when trolling a crankbait behind my yak. They'll school up and then you can really whack 'em.

-SSJr

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'll usually catch them in the spring if I'm trolling a rapala as I paddle between locations. I've had the most luck outside of the "core downtown stretches", above MoPac or below Congress. Even hauled one in fly casting a clouser a few weeks back. They're there in the years when they weren't really releasing from the dams more than absolutely necessary, so I think they are full time residents as opposed to being flushed down stream.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts