Bass Fishing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Best way to get kids hooked on fishing is to take them catching first. I live downriver from Remier Ranch and would like to take them out there when the white bass are running. Anyone heard of any catches recently at the park?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I went out to Reimer's yesterday (Wednesday Feb 24) to scout the run this year and fished for 3-4 hours with plastics and live minnows. Water is very low, similar to 3 years ago. Bank/wade fishing is the only option, way too low for even kayaks or canoes. You would have to get out and pull the craft over stretches of water with 3-4 inches, and in the pools the current would just pull you downstream to the next shallow stretch... This is actually how I prefer it at Reimers. No water crafts crowding the river. My best trip out to Reimers was 3 years ago when the water was even lower.

Anyways, went 2 hours without seeing a single fish of any species. Made my way down river about 1/3 mile and got 2 tiny Spotted bass. Finally caught was fairly nice male White just before 6pm, and lost a huge one, probably a loaded female.

I know the white's have been running further north Texas since the start of the month, but seems a bit early for Reimer's still. Unless they had a very abrupt super early run and it has already died out, which I seriously doubt. The male I caught had zero marks on his fins, which tells me he hadnt begun to spawn. Ill be going out again next week after the rains this weekend and will report back.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the report Fishin. I live down river at Hwy 71 bridge and I have been going out the last couple days to see if anything is moving since our water is low as well. Two small ones Wednesday with no sign of spawn yet. But I also know it can turn on in an instant. If I see anything new I will post it here.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hello. New to the forum. Trying to take my son on the bank for whites! Do you guys know if it is possible to drive under the 71 bridge at the pedernales and park and bank fish? Was thinking of going try reimers but wanting a plan B...

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sam, let me know how Reimers is if you go there. My wife and I are thinking about heading there this weekend.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Never made it to reimers. We parked on the side of 71 bridge at pedernales and fished underneath. Lots of bait action but no takers. Seems promising though. Roadrunner jigs didn’t cut it.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What time did you go out there? Wife and I went out around 3 and worked our way down to the bridge but no luck. I even waded out to the middle so I could work the other side some. Very windy and difficult to cast that little lure too.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts