Bass Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to be getting my first boat tomorrow, so get ready for a bunch of questions. I was measuring my garage and think it might fit diagonally. it's a skeeter sx 190 and i have a standard 2 car garage. it will be tight but i hope it will fit. what are some other cheap options?
thanks,
matt

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
Neighbor's garage? :p

I store covered parking only...now that mine is not in my garage. There are very few open spots, I called a ton, that are reputable.

Just do searches on Google for anything around you.

What part of town?

R

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
I have an SX190 that I keep in a Morgan bldg. The bldg. is 14x24, with a 10' wide door on the narrow side (duh!). The boat fits fine with the swingaway tongue. Had a 14' ramp built to get the angle of the approach correct.

·
Registered
111 Posts
When you keep the boat away from home - do you keep your fishing equipment in the boat or unload it each time? As much as I tinker with my boat, I think the storage yard would need a bed for me to sleep in.

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
Well, I tend to keep the gear here, i.e. rods, lures etc.. but I travel light. Some guys would need a 2nd truck to unload their stuff :p

R

·
Registered
5,347 Posts
I keep a boat here in the driveway in Austin with a cover over it. I live in an older neighborhood with no HOA. I also have one at metco storage on hatch road in north austin. It's $75 per month however there's no electricity so I have to charge the batteries before storing.

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
you're so right tdubb. i've got my new to me sx 190 sitting in there right now. i can't wait to take it out tomorrow and get a few lake travis specials.
matt

·
Registered
10,702 Posts
Got a crappy looking 18ft aluminum tunnel hull stored out at Hog Eye by Decker.  The facility there is cheap ($50/month), and located in the armpit of town, but you get what you pay for.  Partial roof coverage, rickety doors/hinges/minimal security, so I wouldn't store anything nice there.  In fact, last year, a dude reported having his 300 hp yammy 4-stroke stolen off the back of his bay boat when stored outside there.  They just chopped off all the wires/cables and unbolted the soambidge from the transom: the damdest thing.  I recall seeing the hole in the chain-link fence and the motor missing off the boat.  I think he posted about it on this forum.

Other than that, it's a great place.

Call Vicki @ 879-7865.  And yes, you DO want to unload all your stuff each time you store the boat there.  Ishityouknot!

·
Registered
5,347 Posts
I'm a little envious of ya'll with these large shops in your backyard. If you want to get a little closer to downtown, I'd trade my house here in highland park (realistic value $275-300k) for your place if you have a decent house, big shop/barn, and maybe an acre or two.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
707361617C70736B120 said:
I'm a little envious of ya'll with these large shops in your backyard.  If you want to get a little closer to downtown, I'd trade my house here in highland park (realistic value $275-300k) for your place if you have a decent house, big shop/barn, and maybe an acre or two.
Post that on CL... might find someone willing to do that. Trading houses has become en vogue these days...

·
Registered
56 Posts
I stored my Ranger 185 in a regular size garage but parked diagonally, it did not quite fit straight in. I have a swing away tounge but a 6in jackplate. Still i was able to walk around front of the boat with out any problems (garage door closed)

·
Registered
2,728 Posts
I built my garage for my boat 40 ft by 26 ft with a little man cave in the back with easy access to barley pops, it even has a fable table to crowd around.

·
Registered
10,702 Posts
Gary-

When you say "built my garage" do you mean you did all the labor, poured the slab, put up walls, roof, electrical, etc?  And what was the total cost?  I've been nagging "the warden" (i.e., my wife) to build a boat garage next to our house for a while, and would like to tell here how much I spent when it's done.
;)

·
Registered
2,728 Posts
No, sorry RO, when I say built I mean that we drew up the plans and I told the boss if she wanted all this stuff in the home then this is what I wanted in a garage. My builder did say that the cost per sq foot would be lower if I had more space. We figured about $32 a square foot completed. I did the osb board through out and it is insulated has 2 regular walk in doors, a 18 foot insulated garage door, a 6 ft, insulated garage door out the back and a double door going from the garage into the cave/ work area. Also included a staircase going into the attic for easy access.The cost included the labor so roughly 33k. But it also includes a Porta Cache' (sp) in front of the garage for shade and dry entry to the back porch/home. I would suspect if you do it yourself you could get away at $25k for something about the same.

·
Registered
10,702 Posts
Thanks Gary. That sounds dam reasonable for a magnum garage. Who was your builder? I like the cave/work area, as I haven't had a decent shop zone for the past 6 years after moving back to austin. Would like to have some room to set up my grinder, vice, drilling and sawing equipment. Might never leave the garage...
;)

·
Registered
2,728 Posts
RO, I can relate, the one thing I regret is not putting a bathroom in there. So instead I put a privacy fence just around the back of the cave so my buddies and I won't be so put out by going inside. I have gotten into wood working and now have a table saw, mitre saw, griders and sanders. I removed alot of Cedar from the yard and had some of it milled and have been playing with that. Right now I have almost completed a simple cedar bar for the cave. I have gotten the wood to feel like glass. My builder was a friend of mine named Mike Marsh. He has stopped building for now but does small projects and might be willing to build you a garage. Let me know if you want his number or if you would like to see what we did.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts