Bass Fishing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got to fish for a couple of hours today and had an interesting experience. This just puts an exclamation point on why I DO NOT swim on Lake Austin no matter how hot it is. I was working some boat docks when I noticed something out of the corner of my eye. I looked around and it was the biggest water moccasin / cotton mouth whatever you wanna call it that I've seen on Lake Austin. Well being that I had to get a picture of it I put the trolling motor in high gear and swung the boat around. That was my first mistake. Second mistake was after getting a nice close up shot I proceeded to poke at it a little bit. Third mistake was doing this from the back of the boat and not with my foot on the trolling motor. This really pissed the snake off I guess cause it proceeded to swim right towards me! I freaked! Started taking swings at it with my rod... No luck! This snake made it all the way to the back of my boat and was trying to get in! I flung it about 3 feet back and reached down and cranked the big engine. That was about all it took and it disappeared into the depths of the lake. I'll never do that again! :eek:

On the flip side I did catch alot of fish. Biggest was only around 3.5 pds though with alot of dinkers and a few two's..

· Registered
5,334 Posts
Chad, thats no water moccasin but a rather harmless southern water snake. They do get huge and can be very aggressive. Fishless and I saw one over 6ft long sunning itself on a rock once. I offered to catch for better pics, but Jeremy let me know I would be swimming to shore after that one. ;D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That pretty much just sums it up then! I was shrieking like a little girl over a harmless water snake!!! LOL!!! :D

· Registered
5,334 Posts
Funny snake story for you. I was fishing with Moonraker the other day at a local pond and he was walking in front. He pointed out a small garter snake in front so I quickly ran out in front and reached for it. It squirmed but I continued to grab. Generally I will grab behind the head but this guy was wiggling too much so I grabbed where I could, the middle. Apparently snakes don't like to be held, cause he reached around be bit the hell out of my thumb. His plan worked I released and he went on about his way! ;D

· Registered
16 Posts
I shoot those at my pond whenever I see them. I have witness them eat my catfish. I had just stocked some 6"-8" cats, and little did I know I was training the snakes to eat when I was feeding my fish.

They would coil up in the shallows, and wait for the cats to rise to the top to eat, then whammo...drag them up on the bank and try to swallow them

Went and grabbed my benelli and started evening the odds. Haven't seen one in a couple of months now.

· Registered
47 Posts
I saw one monster snake when I was flyfishing the opposite side of the ramp at LWC and there she was a HUGE snake reeling across the rocks just below where I was standing. Needless to say, I took one look and got the puck out of there!!!!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.