Bass Fishing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I normally have a boat mechanic pack my wheel bearings. However, my old Ranger trailer needs to be hand packed. Thinking about getting buddy bearings. Is it hard to install? Or does the Ranger trailer require a boat mechanic install...

Just had to replace a tire this morning and rotated my wheel hub. It sounds like metal to metal grinding..Not good..

Robert

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Just about any automotive shop worth it's grease gun can repack wheel bearings. I had Davis Automotive here in Oak Hill do my trailer, took them about an hour. And a Bearing Buddy is a numero uno priority on my trailers.

·
Registered
389 Posts
packing wheel bearings are easy. all you really need is wheel grease and a hand. put the grease in your hand then run the bearing across your hand to force grease in. repeat until the grease has made it throught the bearing and all the way around. bearing buddies are no harder to install than the dust cover. just make sure to use a piece of wood to install so you are hitting on the wood and not the buddy itself.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
packing wheel bearings are easy. all you really need is wheel grease and a hand. put the grease in your hand then run the bearing across your hand to force grease in. repeat until the grease has made it throught the bearing and all the way around. bearing buddies are no harder to install than the dust cover. just make sure to use a piece of wood to install so you are hitting on the wood and not the buddy itself.

+1

·
Registered
10,702 Posts
Packing grease in bearings is easy enough, but from the sounds of it, if he's hearing metal grinding noises, then that means he needs [highlight]new[/highlight] bearings and races, not just to repack grease in the old worn out ones.  Inspect both bearings and races.  If scoring on either or both (almost certain if you can hear metal grinding), they must be replaced.  Getting the old races out and new ones in without scoring them can be difficult, esp. if the hub is corroded from salt exposure.  Better to have the right tools for that job, or to hire a mechanic unless you want to lose the better part of a (otherwise fishing) day doing it yourself.  I've pounded them out with a hammer and old screwdriver several times before, but it's tedious.  Agree that the bearing buddies are essential and easy to install, just be sure to get the correct size for your hub.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
on the buddy bearings. I have always taken mine and put them on the ball of my truck. Tak the 2x4 on top and then hit with a hammer. This will flare it out a little bit more. It ensures that you get a good seat when you hammer them into your wheel.

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Also when I had my boat off the trailer on Monday, I noticed that same wheel had a lot of grease on the inside of the rim. The opposite wheel was dry...I guess I will have to replace the seal too?

Thanks for all the opinions...It is helpfull. Just now need to work on it before taking boat out...

Robert

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
0F3C333A382F020F6A6A5D0 said:
Also when I had my boat off the trailer on Monday, I noticed that same wheel had a lot of grease on the inside of the rim. The opposite wheel was dry...I guess I will have to replace the seal too?

Thanks for all the opinions...It is helpfull. Just now need to work on it before taking boat out...

Robert
Yeah, I put on new seals every time I repack the bearings. I'm planning to repack mine before the fall coast trips, so I got four seals from Champion Trailers - two for this time and two spares.

http://www.championtrailers.com/bearings_races_seals.html#seals

Mine are standard 1 3/8 x 1 1/16" hubs...their part number was 0230.

Those are probably available locally, but I don't know where. Academy sells bearing kits that include the seals, but if I repack them every couple of years, I should never have to replace the bearings themselves.   (In the past, when I've let it get to that point, I just replace the whole hub with the pre-greased kits that Academy sells.)

·
Registered
9,991 Posts
The seals are out and must be replaced, the bearing buddy set up will make those bearings last indefinately if you keep em greased.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts