Bass Fishing Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the usual length of leader used by y'all when you're dragging Carolina rigs?

I just started back throwing C-rigs again after more than several years of overlooking the technique. I used to fish Lake Fork with Jimmy Everett quite a bit and he'd always have a 6 foot leader on his C-rigs and fish it in 20-25 FOW. I went that way but had a tough time feeling the bite that deep with that long a leader, so a lot of the fish were deep hooked. My bad technique, of course.

On two recent LA expeditions, I was tossing a 15lb flouro leader, 2 feet in length, on Day 1. Not too much action there, only one cruiser about 1lb. But on Day 2, when I increased the leader to 4 foot the bite started happening. All the fish were neatly lip-hooked, so for those days anyway the extra length was the difference maker. I was fishing in relatively shallow water, 4 to 8 feet deep.

I guess the optimum length of leader (from the swivel to the hook) depends on the cover, the bait, and the attitude of the fish. As in all things fishing.

·
Registered
467 Posts
I usually set mine somewhere between 12 - 18". I use a weight that the line weaves through so it makes adjustment a breeze. I just mess around with different leader lengths until I hook up.

·
Registered
855 Posts
FWIW... I've had success recently from the bank dragging a c-rig with a 12-16" leader (1/4oz weight, glass bead and swivel). I've found it difficult to cast anything longer unless I'm standing on an elevated bank. I did use a 3' leader once while on the steps under the Lamar Pedestrian bridge and caught a 2.5#.

·
Registered
757 Posts
All aspects of your c-rig set-up should be considered, not just the leader length. Weight, line test and hook size have all been factors that changed the bite for me.

·
Registered
7,725 Posts
What is the usual length of leader used by y'all when you're dragging Carolina rigs?

I just started back throwing C-rigs again after more than several years of overlooking the technique. I used to fish Lake Fork with Jimmy Everett quite a bit and he'd always have a 6 foot leader on his C-rigs and fish it in 20-25 FOW. I went that way but had a tough time feeling the bite that deep with that long a leader, so a lot of the fish were deep hooked. My bad technique, of course.

On two recent LA expeditions, I was tossing a 15lb flouro leader, 2 feet in length, on Day 1. Not too much action there, only one cruiser about 1lb. But on Day 2, when I increased the leader to 4 foot the bite started happening. All the fish were neatly lip-hooked, so for those days anyway the extra length was the difference maker. I was fishing in relatively shallow water, 4 to 8 feet deep.

I guess the optimum length of leader (from the swivel to the hook) depends on the cover, the bait, and the attitude of the fish. As in all things fishing.
One thing to think of, Flouro sinks way faster than mono. Therefore, I always use Mono for my leader on my Carolina Rig. Try switching your leader to Mono and I would be willing to bet you'll get more bites.

·
Registered
757 Posts
What weight mono, Waylon? If we're going for float, I wonder how a thin braid (>20#) would work...

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Variable length. I use a Carolina Keeper that is adjustable. 15# fluorocarbon seems to work the best for me as I've caught a ton of bass on the C-rig at Bastrop, Fayette, Travis, Coleto, Gibbons, and Houston County.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Like Waylon said, use mono if possible...it's going to flutter down slower after a drag or hop...fluoro will still get bit but won't have quite the action because it will hug the bottom....also use the lightest hook you can get away with...and also don't use a quick sinking plastic.

·
Registered
757 Posts
If the Roboworm people are reading, a lizard with a bottom salt layer like the straight tail worm would be killer.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts