Bass Fishing Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since we now have discussions about PB and top go to lures, I thought I would ask what technique are you going to get comfortable with or learn to do that you have not done or rarely done in the past? What way of fishing do you see others doing on here that you don't know how to do, aren't comfortable doing or just never tried?

This was a hard one for me - fly fishing came to mind but I think that is just the social distancing messing with what left of my mind. So I was down to drop shot which I do but am not very comfortable with and the Ned rig. I decided on the Ned rig as I have never tried this but is appears to be a really nice option especially if you fish the rivers like I do.

So lets hear your choice y'all. Don't be shy and remember we are not judging you - well unless you decide to post a picture without your shirt on and then maybe there will be a little judgement. Keep your lines tight, be safe and have a blessed day.

·
Registered
341 Posts
This is going to seem odd and out of place but I don't throw jigs "football, swim, cover, pitching, flipping, finesse" very often.
You can count the number of fish I have caught on a jig in the tens. While wacky senko and dropshot are well into the many thousands.

I have plenty of them and normally have one tied on in some form or fashion. But it has never been my first, second, third, or even fourth choice in any situation I come across.

With deep water structure I will throw a Biffle bug, drop shot, deep crank, texas rig, Carolina rig, or even a extra large shaky head. I just never seem to reach for the football jig.

In situations where a swim jig would work I will always reach for the Jackhammer or crankbait instead.

Flipping and pitching into heavy cover and grass almost always has me throwing a Texas/Tokyo rig and not a heavy flipping jig.

Shallow water sparse cover is going to get the wacky senko and not a finesse jig.

Even skipping docks I almost grab anything outside of a jig.

My jig game is something that I am going to work on this year.

Todd

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I like it Todd. I noticed Jeremy hasn't posted anything, but then again about the only thing I have not seen you post on here Jeremy is you just asking them to give up and come to the boat. Guess you could work on that one.

·
Registered
204 Posts
First, I am going to learn how to catch fish anytime I go fishing. When I figure that out, I will write the book and we can all retire on the royalties!!! Seriously, I'm with langlowe and don't know how to fish jigs, so I have bought a few more to put in the tackle box and planning to keep one tied on every time I go out. Going to be REALLY hard not to flip the soft plastics at the fish on beds this spring, but I'm gonna make an effort this year. Second would be to learn my electronics better.

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
Well...I...um...the...um...I promise to try to throw a lure that isn't a Topwater at least once every thousand casts. It would have to be something that runs shallow, though. And rises, so I can see it on the surface.
I said I promise to try...
I mean it...

Aw heck...

·
Registered
101 Posts
I'm going to experiment with the Free Rig. Accidentally saw a vid on Youtube. Looks worth trying. Came from South Korea. Just a Texas rig with a free sliding dropshot weight. Will let you know if it works for me or not.

·
Registered
341 Posts

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
I was almost going to mention the C-rig as something I wanted to get back to throwing. One of the ABF stalwart’s once said that fishing a Carolina rig was his least favorites ways to fish, because there is no action to impart on the lure by the angler other than taking in line. If given a choice between counting rocks with a football jig or dragging a C-rig, I’d give the C-rig due consideration.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
OK Bill, there are at least 5 of us on this thread waiting to hear about your exploits tossing something other than top water.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
:ROFLMAO: I am pretty sure this whole thread says 2021 my friend. But just like my fishing in the cold was for 3 casts, you can always "learn" something new that sinks for 3 casts I suppose.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
You got it Jeremy. And since we all know that snow is actually rain I am counting that is fishing in the rain too.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts