Bass Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
6,603 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Testing out the boat today and came across a weird RPM issue.

With just me and gear in the boat it runs fine. starts to plane out at around 4700 RPM and runs smooth at 5300 RPM trimmed up a little.

Now if I put another person in the boat it immediatly drops to 4100RPM and stays at that mark refusing to get on plane.

Take the person out and it acts normally, going all the way up to 5500RPM.

-

a few days ago it was planing with 2 people in the boat but today it refused. I would literally drop people off on the dock and it would run fine, pick a person up and the boat would be 15 mph slower and run 1000 rpm slower.

--

What on earth is causing weight to affect RPMS?

·
Registered
297 Posts
We tried adjusting trim, position of weight etc nothing seemed to matter. Wouldn't accelerate past 4100 rpm unless you were alone . I don't understand how rpm would be affected that much by just an extra 175 lbs . Very odd indeed

·
Registered
6,603 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Tuck the motor in more and move the person to the front of the boat? Does sound strange.
Tried everything, had them sit all the way in front, all the way in back, trimmed all the way down, all the way up. You name it we tried it. Just seems like the boat knows when there are two people in it and does not want to run past 4100 RPM then.

·
Registered
6,603 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you, will be trying that immediately.

Also, do you have any openings in mid or late January? would like to have the motor looked over and your opinion on what needs doing.

thanks again

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
Sorry to hear you are having issues with the new boat.
I hope the prop works out for you.

Not quite sure if I under stand why it would plane with two people a week ago and won't now, but I don't know squatt about PB's, except that you usually don't have to paddle them.

·
Registered
6,502 Posts
Blaster, a test ride might be in order. If it was running good a week ago and performance has changed that drastically, there is a missing variable somewhere like added gear/weight, change in fuel, trim or something...

Small motors can be affected by even the smallest changes.

·
Registered
10,702 Posts
Blaster, a test ride might be in order. If it was running good a week ago and performance has changed that drastically, there is a missing variable somewhere like added gear/weight, change in fuel, trim or something...

Small motors can be affected by even the smallest changes.
^^^^^^^^^^this

For example, my 16 ft with 40 rude will get up on plane with 2 guys and gear, but add a third guy, and no plano. Weight is a big factor on smaller boats.

·
Registered
6,603 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I want to run it a few more times before I decide on what course of action to take.

Will run it a few times this week and see if it acts any better.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I would experiment with props blaster, and once Gary gets that accelerater pump in at the first of the year may help. Heck it was getting on plane with me 230lbs and you 150 two days ago running 23mph gps. Maybe 4 blade prop..?

·
Registered
381 Posts
I remember even with us two it wasn't hitting max rpm with the prop that is on it before it would start to bow hop at 23mph. 23 is about the top speed you will see out of it, but it may need some better bow lift to get up in top of the water and plane out with a heavier load.

·
Registered
6,603 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
yea prop will be first experiment. So guess I'll figure out what the current size and pitch is and then work down from there?

·
Registered
10,702 Posts
I remember even with us two it wasn't hitting max rpm with the prop that is on it before it would start to bow hop at 23mph. 23 is about the top speed you will see out of it, but it may need some better bow lift to get up in top of the water and plane out with a heavier load.
Does the motor have power tilt/trim? If it's bow hopping, then that suggests an over trimmed state. If not power trim, then consider advancing the tilt position pin forward toward the transom by one or two holes. This will help you get up on plane faster and with more load and also prevent porpoising.

·
Registered
6,502 Posts
If not power trim, then consider advancing the tilt position pin forward toward the transom by one or two holes. This will help you get up on plane faster and with more load and also prevent porpoising.
Bingo.

If it's a manual trim this is the first place I would look. With a loaded boat the motor should be full tucked to help get on plane

·
Registered
6,603 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
It's power trim and I tried it with the trim all the way down and every other combination imaginable.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts