Bass Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gotta be honest here... my boyfriend and I have faithfully relied on Austin Bass Fishing for months now to get the inside scoop on where the fish were or weren't biting, and when it wasn't too scorching hot or tornado-style windy to get a decent tug on your line. What we have not done yet is make a single post about our many fishing trips.

Not because we haven't caught fish, either. See?

2011-07-01_09-37-05_107.jpg 2011-06-19_10-06-06_333.jpg
IMG952399.jpg IMG951218.jpg IMG951519.jpg

So we are decent fisher-people. My PB is an 8.5 lber, his is 9. HOWEVER, we have yet to catch the 20's, 30's and 40's that some of y'all talk about after a long day on the water. SO... I have come to this conclusion: either over-exaggerating your day's catch is just a common white lie on this site, OR we really suck and should give it up now. Or yesterday.

We often go out on to Fayette (our fave, by far), Decker (have yet to catch a SINGLE fish in four different trips), Austin (caught a few on crankbaits, nothing special) and have taken a handful of trips to the coast (lots of annoying perch and a few small reds). Fayette last Sunday (11-13) brought white caps from the insane wind, but we stayed out as long as we possibly could. He caught one, I caught one real big bite. Another poster said he caught 20-something. Um... WHA??? Fayette is usually our spot, but not lately.

With that being said, we (or I - he would not prefer to ask for help) would like some advice on go-to lures, lakes, spots, tips. I'm not asking for insider secrets or anything, I know that's sacred and needs to be earned. But just how the heck is anyone catching a freaking thing on Decker, for example?? All we've caught is some lilypads and a sunburn. Has anyone else been completely skunked at this lake?

I will admit that, from time to time, I will throw a live minnow or water dog on my line if I don't feel like doing much, but otherwise, we are using all kinds of crankbaits, lipsless swimmers, and your random senkos/worms. I'm pretty clueless on jigs and spoons right now, but I'm trying to do my research.

So, is there anything y'all can tell us, I mean me, a never fail tip that I - as a semi-beginner - may not know?

Much appreciated! Maybe we'll see y'all out there!

Oh, and no, we are not giving up quite yet. ;)

·
Registered
6,502 Posts
Welcome to the site and nice pics...

I think it really boils down to time on the water. Some of these guys are on the water 3-4 times a week and it pays off. 8.5 and 9lb fish are brag worthy for sure so I think you are doing the right thing. We like all reports good and bad. Sometimes a bad report is just as important as a good one. Especially on Fayette before I drag the boat 1.5hr for a sub-par day.

Stocking a good arsenal of baits to key in on seasonal changes is a must. I have had phenominal days on Fayette with 30+ fish and the next day only two or three. Keep your head up, oh, and wear sun block....

·
Registered
10,702 Posts
I like your first post. Bikinis and big bass get a lot attention here. You're on the right track. Fayette can be tough at times. But the key there is to find a bite and stick with it. That means, if you catch one, slow down, and really work the area. If it slows in a spot, try out a little deeper, but be thorough, and really cover the water. When there's one, there are usually more, but not always.

WRT Decker, there's a nice post recently (today) on a guy who failed on several baits, then found a great bite on shakey head, so just goes to show that sometimes you have to keep trying different presentations till you finally get bit.

http://www.austinbassfishing.com/forum/black-bass-fishing-reports/27070-11-18-11-decker-lake.html

Persistence pays off, sometimes. Don't feel bad about an occasional skunk. Happens to all of us, although most don't post skunk reports, but some do!

Keep up the reports and get to know some of the fishers on here and they might take you out or let you follow around and learn some new stuff.

Thanks for posting!

And you're right: never give up!

·
Registered
637 Posts
Nice first post. Keep fishing and posting. I'd suggest coming out to the Wednesday night tournaments on Lake Austin that start mid March and run through August. This really nice Asian guy runs them and worst case scenario he starts giving away baits if you never place in the money. I typically fall into this category. Other than that, you should hear from Treylon at approximately 8:15a when they get into the office.

·
Registered
4,303 Posts
Sounds like y'all are getting there and thanks for posting.

First, fish are transitioning to their fall and winter patterns and what was working this summer may not work now. Plus, fishing can just be slower in the winter, so don't get discouraged.

Those who said time on the water helps are absolutely right. This past spring, I spent every day in March (except Sunday) fishing. Now not every day was a full day trip, but I would make time before work or after work or during the lunch hour to get out for just a little bit and it was great. The first 10 days or so were typical of my other trips in terms of numbers and size, but then I located some darn good schools of bass, could keep after them and locate them as they made small daily adjustments and really got dialed in on what it took to get them to bite. By the end of March I could go out and catch 5-10 keepers/hour no problem. I will also say that all that practice casting made me a much better caster (on all types of casts) and I think that really helped because I had the confidence to sling baits all over the place....

But then work got busy, I couldn't fish as much and things got back to the way they normally are for me fishing-wise, which is fine. I still fish at least once a week, on average, which doesn't feel like enough now that I think about it. Might have to start keeping a rod in the truck again.

·
Registered
5,012 Posts
Welcome to the board, as most have said keep at it. I have had days where I have thrown everything in the boat and then pick up a shakey head and started catching them good. Decker has some good fish in it, start shallow and keep moving out. Not sure anyone out there hasn't had their ass handed to them on one occassion or another.

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
+1 what Lance said, for Travis one of my favrite baits is a glimmer/blue fluke 5" Good report & good luck

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
So we are decent fisher-people. My PB is an 8.5 lber, his is 9. HOWEVER, we have yet to catch the 20's, 30's and 40's that some of y'all talk about after a long day on the water. SO... I have come to this conclusion: either over-exaggerating your day's catch is just a common white lie on this site, OR we really suck and should give it up now. Or yesterday.

;)
How about y'all taking a trip with me and I'll show you the numbers, no white lie. We can fish out my boat as well. I had a lot of people at work that didn't believe my numbers either till I took em fishing. They believe me now.
Doug........

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey guys, thanks a ton for the replies - great advice that we will for sure take into consideration. And I more than appreciate the knowledge that we aren't the only ones to leave the water with bait untouched.

We've heard about those Wednesday night LA tournaments, but figured we were not near the level to be messing with a tourny yet. Perhaps one day... :)

·
Registered
637 Posts
Can't beat a free guide offer. Doug has some of the best quality reports on this forum. Btw, I've heard Doug brings his counter so he doesn't lose track.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Glad to see there are "better halves" out there that enjoy fishing. Here are a couple of things I have learned:

1. Practice practice practice especially if you can get out at night. It forces you to hone your feel of the bait and bites.
2. Positive attitude
3. Have a "go to" bait and style if everything else fails
4. This summer/fall has been tougher than last. Slow down and go to a smaller presentation. Bigger is not necessarily better.
5. Listen to the water conditions, bait, fish and weather. Casting into the wind usually means more fish than casting with it
6. Stealthy, any noise you make in a boat is transferred into the water, even the trolling motor.

Fish Fayette quite often and go to colors are watermelon and blue. Good luck and keep us posted!

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Decker has some good fish in it. My aviator came from decker. She was just shy of 7. I like decker most in the spring when they stack up shallow. One piece of advice on any lake. Be versatile, just because the fish were in a certain spot the day before doesn't mean they will be there the next day. Fayette is in a transition right now. Form what i'v heard the baitfish have moved up but the bass have not followed yet. Once they do you should be able to catch them on almost whatever you want to.

Clancy W

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
I bet he does. I might too if I pulled in numbers like that. Or had to report to y'all every time I fished.
First things first. Erica, I am not obligated to post fishing reports. In fact, if I were to keep my mouth shut, I could probably eliminate boat traffic on this lake by at least 30 to 50 boats a week, maybe even more. I post on six fishing forums, so that's a lot of exposure. I post reports for those who drive from a long ways off to help them get on some fish and have a good time. It also allows anglers to know if the bite is on or not. Since 99% of the anglers who fish this lake have a minimum of a 140 mile round trip, they look for reports in order to determine if the trip will be worth it or not. If the bite is dead, then they can fish their local lakes and save a lot gas money, not to mention some extra sleep in time. Anglers also love pictures. It inspires them to hook up to their boat and go. They also like to study these picture so they can try and figure out the location in which you are fishing. They look at your rods in your boat to see what you might be fishing with as well. Folks are always trying to see something in a picture that you failed to explain in your post to get that extra edge. But I normally tell it like it is, I'm not going to make something up to throw anglers off. I want everyone to catch and have fun. Now if I pre-fish a lake for an upcoming tournament, then that's a whole different story. My lips are sealed.........

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
First things first. Erica, I am not obligated to post fishing reports. In fact, if I were to keep my mouth shut, I could probably eliminate boat traffic on this lake by at least 30 to 50 boats a week, maybe even more. I post on six fishing forums, so that's a lot of exposure. I post reports for those who drive from a long ways off to help them get on some fish and have a good time. It also allows anglers to know if the bite is on or not. Since 99% of the anglers who fish this lake have a minimum of a 140 mile round trip, they look for reports in order to determine if the trip will be worth it or not. If the bite is dead, then they can fish their local lakes and save a lot gas money, not to mention some extra sleep in time. Anglers also love pictures. It inspires them to hook up to their boat and go. They also like to study these picture so they can try and figure out the location in which you are fishing. They look at your rods in your boat to see what you might be fishing with as well. Folks are always trying to see something in a picture that you failed to explain in your post to get that extra edge. But I normally tell it like it is, I'm not going to make something up to throw anglers off. I want everyone to catch and have fun. Now if I pre-fish a lake for an upcoming tournament, then that's a whole different story. My lips are sealed.........
Doug, I am appreciative of all your posts, as I'm sure everyone here is. One thing to about this girl: she likes to kid. I know you're not obligated to give reports anywhere. If anything, I wish I had the time to go out and get that that experience so I had the reports to tell. No hard feelings, Doug!

1 - 20 of 38 Posts