Bass Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 102 Posts

·
Registered
11,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So Ninja talked me into heading out to Lake Austin yesterday and doing something I have never done before, fishing live bait for bass. So trophy, I know. The inspiration behind the whole thing stemmed from a particular area Ninja has been fishing where he has been seeing a bunch of big cruisers and not being able to even get them to look at a bait. So we hit the water, had some fun perch jerking and ran to our first spot. Instantaneous gratification as my first cast produced a 5 pounder no more than 30 seconds after the bait hit the water. Subsequent casts produced a 3 and a 4 and a 4th cast hooked a monster that ripped drag straight into the grassy jungle, never to be seen. After that, the spot shut down and we ran to another renowned big fish hole and the game was changed. First cast, I landed my new cheater PB at 9.61 lbs. For the next hour, we just smoked them. Ninja had one about 8lbs chase the bait all the way to the boat before exploding on it and eventually coming unzipped. Ninja managed to land one that went 6.5, we had 6 or 7 other fish that ranged from 3-6lbs and lost countless other fish that buried us. We ran out of bait and threw artificials for a bit. Managed 2 solid chunks on the new 6th Sense Hollow Core-X swimbaits fished alongside docks. Before dark, caught some more bait and headed to a deep submerged light with some grass on it. We landed 5 more fish, ranging from 2.5-4.5 lbs before running out of bait. Finished the night flipping black/blue JMT jigs at shallow dock corners and picked up some nice little chunks with a few dinks mixed in. Off the water at 11, one of the best nights of catching I have ever had on Lake Austin.

As with all my reports, you will have to wait for pics.

·
Registered
11,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
After Dustin and I saw two 10-12lb bass fighting over a 12 inch gizzard on Sunday afternoon. I think that might work haha.

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
Bastage! No wonder those fish have stopped eating artificials around the lights, they are probably too busy waiting for the free lined perch buffet!

A couple of guys joked around about a "No Rules" overnight tournament on LA, after this report it sounds like it would be a blast and could involve some new pickle chasers.

·
Registered
11,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I can see Dale Read's head about to explode after reading this report...insert Clayton Bigsby removing his hood video.
Not gonna lie, some of those fish might as well have had Dale's initials tattooed on them. Several looked to have been caught 3-4 times prior, including that big fish. We put all of them right back where we found them, no worse for the wear.

·
Registered
11,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I might, and this is a strong might, be doing the same thing here in a few hours. I have an ultralight fairy wand and some hot dogs to catch bait....

Trey, you are a trailblazer my friend.
Dude, get worms. You will save yourself a lot of time and hassle trying to catch enough bait.

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
I honeslty felt kinda dirty last night, I felt like I did something wrong, but then I realized that I felt kinda dirty because I was covered in worm guts, perch juice and bass slime.
I'd have guessed the dirty feeling came from your life choices and being proud of doing many many things wrong...but yeah, worm guts.

1 - 20 of 102 Posts