Bass Fishing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Never fished money tournaments before and want to get my feet wet this summer. Figure it will be a great way to fish more lakes in the area more purposely.

I'm think the first step is to spectate at a couple tournaments to make sure I get all the details nailed down and don't embarrass myself... haha

What do you guys recommend for a rookie like me?

Thanks in advance everyone!

·
Registered
125 Posts
Join a BASS club. They usually fish monthly tournaments year around, and stick to areas that aren't absurd distances from Austin.
Not sure if you're a boater or non-boater ... but most clubs can always use more boaters and its absolutely one of the best ways for a non-boater to get to fish and learn from a variety of skilled tournament fisherman.

I joined one (South Austin Bass Club) in January and absolutely love it.
They meet the first Monday of each month at Jalapeno's on Wm. Cannon. If you're north, I hear Big Sandy Creek is a good club. I'm sure there are others, maybe some other members will chime in.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
I saw your sweet Skeeter in the other thread. I'll say that you should stay in your comfort zone, buy good boat insurance and keep smiling even when the fishing gets tough.

Congrats on the boat and good luck at the derby!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys. Yup, I'm a boater and the club route sounds like a great idea. I'm in Pflugerville so I'll check the guys up north. Thanks for the heads up!

Thanks on the boat comment Jeremy. She's fully insured and the only time I'm not smiling is when I'm in the office wishing I was on the lake.

I'm really tempted to at least remove Alton's name off the boat. He was kind enough to let me leave the wrap on to protect the boat (SUPER... SUPER... Nice guy BTW), but obviously everyone thinks it's him at the ramp.

Even though I'm a large hispanic man in his 30's so I look nothing like Alton Jones! lol

·
Registered
3,227 Posts
TTZ has a schedule...If you can catch fish go to any of the weeknight tournaments. Always great to see new faces. You can pick up a partner pretty easy too.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts