Bass Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took the wife and her friends out for a cruise about 3:30.  Not too much traffic.  Dropped them off about 5:00 and then went fishing.  Started up around Steiner Ranch with a white spinner bait.  Ended up with two dinks.  Tried TR plastics and medium diving crank on the weed lines, but no takers.  Boat traffic got so bad I finally called it quits about 7:30.  

·
Registered
291 Posts
we all feel your pain man.

*It's just that Wake Austin is like the only place us y0zer br0zers can get some sikkid wake time, brah!  I mean c'mon brah, when I'm out on West 6th in '$50k-millionaire' mode, hittin on random trim, what chick way out of my league is gonna pretend to like me for anything other than my Moom-set-tique-X52 if I tell her to meet us at Decker the next morning?  Like no real hotties!  So we gotta get 'em out on LA and crank up the 1200 amp new sound system me and my boys went in on 7 ways so we could afford it.  We're just there to look at the chicks, right?  We dont need to hear about their childhood dreams and ambitions.  I cant shove my junk in a college degree, right brah!?  Haaaah, hey I'll holla atcha l8z, I gotta get back to the tat shop and finish getting this picture my boy Chazzton took of a parting wake off the back of my boat, inked across my shoulder blades.*

·
Registered
5,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ROFLMAO!

Funny but I was at the docks waiting on my wife and this youngun drops his boat in the water and proceeds to load up 6 very attractive ladies.  For a split second I was envious.   :cool: :cool:

·
Registered
689 Posts
I wake surf almost as regularly as I fish. It's like wakeboarding but much slower and the wake is about twice as big.

Here's the thing: Wakeboarding was pretty much invented on Lake Austin. No lie.

It's also the only place in Austin to do this, except maybe the Perd, but that's not year-round.

Lastly: It's not really like the bite is great at the same time the surfers are out....most collar-popping douche bags aren't up at 5am or launching at 7pm

Just sayin' there's room for both in my life and on the lake ;)

·
Registered
5,072 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
3D283B25282A490 said:
I wake surf almost as regularly as I fish.  It's like wakeboarding but much slower and the wake is about twice as big.

Here's the thing:  Wakeboarding was pretty much invented on Lake Austin.  No lie.  

It's also the only place in Austin to do this, except maybe the Perd, but that's not year-round.

Lastly:  It's not really like the bite is great at the same time the surfers are out....most collar-popping douche bags aren't up at 5am or launching at 7pm

Just sayin' there's room for both in my life and on the lake ;)

It's not that I mind them on the lake. I just mind them within spitting distance.

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
When someone is surfing or wakeboarding behind the boat it's difficult for the driver to turn without ruining the shape of the wake.  Running a straight line is particularly important when surfing as turning will wash out the wake and down the rider.  

Keeping a straight path is the only way to go, and sometimes a bass boat just happens to be alongside that straight path.

But I'll also admit there are a lot of boneheads out there that just want to show off their stereos or the chicks in the boat - the stereo I can do without but are you actually complaining about the latter?

There are inconsiderate drivers on both sides and I've seen plenty of bass boats run wot 10-15' away from a child being pulled in a tube or on skis.  What's worse, a ski boat coming by and temporarily washing out your fishing area or a bass boat running 65 mph by a kid who's holding on for dear life fearing one wrong move could quickly turn them into chum?

·
Registered
689 Posts
Great question Skeeter/Mike and great answer Andy.

I've got a short answer that works too: Because you don't need a license to drive a boat!!

Seriously though, there are a bunch of idiots out there (more wake boarders than fishermen admittedly) but I think we can all agree that the real problem is boats pulling TUBERS!!

that and drunk people driving ANY boat :)

·
Registered
291 Posts
Ha, guys, relax. I was just highlighting a sterotypical situation. Not all of the 'Moom-set-tique-X52' navigators are complete D's, just 90% of them :p

People board/surf/tube on Lake Austin to see and be seen, it is simple as that. While I personally have way more fun using the 'ski' functionaltiy of my fish/ski on Lake Georgetown or Decker where there is no one else around, I also do not own a boat that was purchased with daddy's money or pooled with 5 of my friends. If I was in that situation, that would almost guarantee I am regularly on the prowl for young, impressionable, shallow trim as well. When those guys are out on West 6th dangling the carrot that is a wakeboard boat, a surefire way to get them onboard is to throw in exhibits B and C -- Lake Austin and Hula Hut.

The drought has more folks from Travis out there as well. It just boils down to if you go out there to fish, you know theres going to be 10,000 boats and they are out in full force beginning in the 10am hour, finally starting to settle in the 9pm hour. Do like I do, fish from 6am - 10am, then either hit the coves or go home.

The 3' wakes suck. In fact, I kinda lost my balance during a wave barrage last night in the tourney and messed the ol back up pretty good :'(

Here's to Football Season, cooler temps, and hopefully the onset of El Nino.

·
Premium Member
3,641 Posts
766078504B600E3F0 said:
Ha, guys, relax.  I was just highlighting a sterotypical situation.  Not all of the 'Moom-set-tique-X52' navigators are complete D's, just 90% of them  :p

People board/surf/tube on Lake Austin to see and be seen, it is simple as that.  While I personally have way more fun using the 'ski' functionaltiy of my fish/ski on Lake Georgetown or Decker where there is no one else around, I also do not own a boat that was purchased with daddy's money or pooled with 5 of my friends.  If I was in that situation, that would almost guarantee I am regularly on the prowl for young, impressionable, shallow trim as well.  When those guys are out on West 6th dangling the carrot that is a wakeboard boat, a surefire way to get them onboard is to throw in exhibits B and C -- Lake Austin and Hula Hut.

The drought has more folks from Travis out there as well.  It just boils down to if you go out there to fish, you know theres going to be 10,000 boats and they are out in full force beginning in the 10am hour, finally starting to settle in the 9pm hour.  Do like I do, fish from 6am - 10am, then either hit the coves or go home.

The 3' wakes suck.  In fact, I kinda lost my balance during a wave barrage last night in the tourney and messed the ol back up pretty good  :'(

Here's to Football Season, cooler temps, and hopefully the onset of El Nino.
AMEN. Couldn't have said it better myself ;).

·
Registered
689 Posts
Halleluja!

I see fishermen all the time on weekend dawn patrols, but I never say hi 'coz I'm in a wake boat ;)

'85 light blue Ski Nautique with a black tower btw.

That sucks about your back I-G-1, sounds like you were lucky not to end up in the drink!! I can also say that I wasn't out on wednesday night :)

·
Registered
351 Posts
Well put Andy, I agree 100%. I hardly ever fish lake Austin because of the boat traffic but we fishermen are the minority on that lake. Also, Have you ever noticed this lake is very skinny and very crowded for a fisherman to think just because he is fishing every other boater out there should stay away is arrogant. Yes, there are bone head wake-boarders out there but i bet the average of boneheads in wake-boarding is about the same as the average of boneheads in fishing. I have seen a fisherman actually start casting his lure and yelling at passing boats on a crowded summer day.We all must live together, to hate on someone because he choose a different way to enjoy himself is silly. If the boat traffic bothers you so much, go fish Decker. Carolina rig the old pond dams, road beds and gravel pits on the north side of the lake. ;)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.