Bass Fishing Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
x2 on getting a neutral mechanic to check the engine. Gary at Tracker Marine will inspect almost all of the above free of charge. All you need to do is get the buyer to meet you there.

I would also run the boat on the lake at wide open throttle for five minutes. Bring a rod and make a few casts from the deck, run the trolling motor, check the electronics, lights, live well, etc. Anything that isn't functioning properly can be used to negotiate a better price. Ask if the boat has been in salt water. When you look at the boat, look at the sellers house and/or vehicle. If the yard or car is trashed, it could indicate the boat isn't well cared for. As mentioned, check the trailer (I got burned on that with my first boat). Also as mentioned above, don't take the sellers word for it.

Kelly Blue Book has boat pricing is a good starting place to research the value of boats. When you know your budget, start looking at Boat Trader and craigslist and see what you have a realistic chance at purchasing. Look at boats in other markets than Austin that might have a higher supply. It is more of a pain to buy a boat somewhere other than central texas but you'll be amazed how many more boats are on DFW craigslist than Ausin craigslist. I bought my recent boat in Tulsa!

1 - 1 of 1 Posts