Bass Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks for checking out my first new topic.

I'm new into fishing, and found a used boat at a great price through family.

I'm wondering- What things should I be looking for, is there a guide somewhere like for cars, horror stories of used boats and things you didn't see before you paid them...

I'm hoping to meet them with the boat in two weeks to check it out, drive it around, etc. I'm grateful for your insight.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Number one thing is check compression on the motor. If it's aluminum make sure it don't leak. If fiberglass look for bad stress cracks in the fiberglass. You can tell how good the person took care of it by looking at the bottom of the hull for bad scratches chips etc. find out when water pump/lower unit oil was changed. Just to name a few, hope it helps.

·
Registered
158 Posts
have bought a couple of used boats, agree with everything said in ealier post. I would also check to see what wiring looks like to determine how much rewiring took place, check to see if all the pumps, livewells, etc. work as they should. good indicator of how boat was cared for is general look of finish, that tells you if it was washed, waxed, like it should be. just a few tips, good luck!

·
Registered
120 Posts
Good advice all around here. All things listed are things that should be checked, i am also in the market for an older used boat. If you don't have a lot of experience checking these things then you can take it to a marine mechanic and have him give it a survey. I have read quotes in a wide range, but most will be under 200. That sounds like a lot to just throw at something that isn't the boat but i think it could save you that and much more if they reveal a significant problem. Things like transom separation, compression problems with the motor can cost a lot to fix. Last thing you want to do is top out your price range for a boat then have a lot of repairs that keep you off the water.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Not to be negative, but dont trust everything you hear from the previous owner. Ive found this one out the hard way time and time again. Ive been lied to about rot, leaks, titles, work performed, transom, just about anything at some time or another knowing for a fact they had the knowledge.

·
Registered
6,603 Posts
Trailer registration is something many people overlook. I did and was ticketed for it.

·
Registered
70 Posts
x2 on getting a neutral mechanic to check the engine. Gary at Tracker Marine will inspect almost all of the above free of charge. All you need to do is get the buyer to meet you there.

I would also run the boat on the lake at wide open throttle for five minutes. Bring a rod and make a few casts from the deck, run the trolling motor, check the electronics, lights, live well, etc. Anything that isn't functioning properly can be used to negotiate a better price. Ask if the boat has been in salt water. When you look at the boat, look at the sellers house and/or vehicle. If the yard or car is trashed, it could indicate the boat isn't well cared for. As mentioned, check the trailer (I got burned on that with my first boat). Also as mentioned above, don't take the sellers word for it.

Kelly Blue Book has boat pricing is a good starting place to research the value of boats. When you know your budget, start looking at Boat Trader and craigslist and see what you have a realistic chance at purchasing. Look at boats in other markets than Austin that might have a higher supply. It is more of a pain to buy a boat somewhere other than central texas but you'll be amazed how many more boats are on DFW craigslist than Ausin craigslist. I bought my recent boat in Tulsa!

·
Registered
120 Posts
Exactly, DFW has some good deals ive been looking there as well. It seems that boat prices are a bit higher here than other places ive been looking at.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Im looking to sell my basscat p2. its older but uber clean with low low hours. Shoot me a pm if interested,.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'll call the mechanic near the lake we're meeting at.
I've never seen the boat, but my in-laws were talking to some folks they work with on a regular basis. They don't live nearby but are gonna drive it in so I can test it out on the lake.
Full throttle 5 minutes, check.
Use the fish finder and trolling motor, check.
General condition, wires, last lower unit oil change, check.
Trailer details.

Thanks everyone this is really good info so far.
What else?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I don't have a trailer (or hitch)... They are meeting me at LBJ next weekend.
Gary- can you come to LBJ? Do you know anyone who can help out there? PM if you do.
Thanks

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
I don't have a trailer (or hitch)... They are meeting me at LBJ next weekend.
Gary- can you come to LBJ? Do you know anyone who can help out there? PM if you do.
Thanks
How can you consider buying a boat without a trailer, or even a hitch? Gary's offer is extremely generous, but you'll have to deliver, or have it towed to Tracker on Hwy.183.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
How can you consider buying a boat without a trailer, or even a hitch? Gary's offer is extremely generous, but you'll have to deliver, or have it towed to Tracker on Hwy.183.
The boat comes with a trailer... And I'm checking for someone to install a hitch (uhaul, or someone like that).

Thanks for all the insight everyone! Thanks for the offer Gary. I'll try to take you up on it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts