Bass Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I only had about 7lbs today.  But it was the first day that I got a limit in the same day!  I think about 11lbs is leading it, 9lbs is top 5 or better.  

Fish were caught on topwater, spinnerbaits, drop shot and cranks.  This is the most terrible fishing I have ever seen Lake Mead.  I think if you have a limit you still have a shot.  Wow, horrible.  

I got one on a crank and the rest we caught on drop shot.  Could have used Hollywood to help out.  Luckily I had Aaron Martens mom, who is a great worm fisherman.  She got two of our keepers.

Oh, my first fish was on the rattle trap, and on a custom made rod that Brett at Allure Rods wrapped for me!!  Great rod and I think it will be good luck tomorrow!!

Wish me luck, sorry too tired and worn out to post any pics and I don't have any good ones.  Still have to find a fuse to fix the graph on the boat after dinner!!

Derek

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Re: US OPEN Lake Mead

Goodluck Derek ;) Looking forward to your day2 report.
Hopefully it turns on. Mead use to provide some quality
fish. I lived in Vegas for 6 yrs. I've heard the lake is down 30 ft from when I used to fish it.

Jim ;D

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: US OPEN Lake Mead- DAY 2

Well, most of the leaders from day 1 did about the same.  I think Bailey had around 9lbs.  Gary Dobyns had 9.5 or so.  Justin Kerr had 9something.  I got a limit again for right at 8lbs.  So a pound better than yesterday.  I was 30 after day one, so hopefully I'll move up a spot or two!

My partner had a 3- 3.5 jump off right by the boat this afternoon.  BUMMER!  :'( That would have put us at about 10 lbs, and in great shape!  Probably big stringer for the day too, oh well.  I'll go get that fish tomorrow morning!

Got two nice ones on a crankbait, one on a spinner bait in the middle of some stripers feeding, and the rest on the drop shot.  Nothing too special.  Hope to find some topwater action tomorrow for a big bite or two.  One or two 3lb+ fish here can really swing a limit up there!  We'll see how it ends tomorrow.

I'm ready for a good nights rest.

Later guys,
Derek

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well thanks for all the warm fuzzies and well wishes from Texas, but no top 10 for me. Choked on the third day.

My partner got a 2lber on a spook in the morning and then we just died..... Got a small one on a crank and then a little one on a drop shot.

In hindsight I should have stayed in the canyon and fished for my limit, but with three fish and 2 hours to go, I went to areas with bigger fish to give myself a shot at the win or at least a top ten.

Fishing was tougher over all, I think the leader (Bailey) only had maybe 2 or three fish today? Dobyns had 7lbs or so, he might have won it. I won't know untill the awards tonight.

So only 3 fish for me right at 4.01 lbs. I'm sure that will put me like 1 lb out of the money or something so close it will make my butt pucker......

Sucks being so close and then letting it slip away at the end, but I did what I thought I needed to do to give myself a shot at it!

·
Registered
541 Posts
It's always easy to look back and think about the "what if's!" That's tournament fishing. It's eigther, go big or go home in my mind and you did what you did to go for the gold. Good Job!

Sounds like old Lake Travis back in the day, eh?! Now the fish are getting too dang big ;D

·
Registered
266 Posts
Good job bro.
I will be in CA. in the middle of Sept. and going to Vegas. Lets go fish. PM me your phone #.

MEAD is a tough lake. You did really good. You were'nt pre-fishing everyday, you were living in TX.

Congrats on the good finish.

Miles

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
A great So Cal kid ended up winning- Justin Kerr.  Have known him a while and am really happy for him.  It was a tough tourney, but was happy I was at least in contention on the last day.  Miles, I'll definitely get with you next month!! We can drive over to Mojave and catch 15lb limits over there.

Oh yeah, two little one pound keepers would have put me in the money! Oh well.

D

·
Registered
142 Posts
still had a nice finish Derek congrats, Kerrs and Awsum fishermen.

Now whats this about Mojave and 15lb bags? last time I was there I got 2 rats and a sunk boat. That lake is pretty wild the water is as clear as a glass of water down to 40-50 feet.
Are you back living in AZ or colorado or tex? won had you listed in colorado.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
WON is so messed up it isn't even funny. I am in Vegas now. Boulder City actually, it's right by the lake. I'm not even sure how this organization gets ANYONE to fish their events. I like the peoples, but am not impressed with the way things were run. The registration and awards were in the Bass Pro Shops in the boating section. Come on......

Thanks Jim, and all you guys. I guess I can't complain about a 26place in the only real Pro tournament I've fished in over a year. (in 105+ heat of the desert!)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.