Bass Fishing Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a new TM on the way. I am going from 24v to 36. I have this three bank charger on my boat. Do you think there is any issue to putting all three banks on my TM batteries? I have an alligator clip charger that I can snap on my starting battery. When I feel like spending another $400.00, I'll buy a four bank charger. I was just hoping that I could limp by with this for now.

·
Registered
9,991 Posts
I think you're on the right track. That's a good charger on the boat so go with it till it's necessary. Single bank chargers are less than $100. You should be able to run both 110 cords out together to a splitter on your extension cord, or if it's a recessed socket I'd splice the cords together just below the receptical with solder and heat shrink, eliminating the need for splitters and such. A good 5amp charger is plenty to keep the starting batt hot..

·
Registered
700 Posts
Hey not to hijack this thread, but I have a weird newbie question. I am a cheap-ass and in the market for a new trolling motor. The one I have is a 55lb, and it seems good enough for what I do. Its seems like some of these 36v trolling motors could pull a skier. What is the reason for all of the extra power?

·
Registered
9,991 Posts
It's not the added power, it's the run time that's attractive to many. The increased voltage makes everything(wires, motor, controls) run cooler and more efficient..Plus you added 150amp hours to the circuit.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Oh ok cool wasn't sure. So I should upgrade to 24v if I'm at 12 now. Plus In really only have room for two trolling batteries

·
Registered
9,991 Posts
Yea man if you're running 12v now, 24v will be a dream.... Now you just need to find $1000. I have a 74lb MK Ripetide on my 18' boat and it will drag it at 3knts. I thinks it's 9 or 10 years old and has been awesome. I have never run the batteries all the way down.

·
Registered
7,725 Posts
Thats the same charger I run on my Ranger with a 36 v TM.. Just hook up a battery charger to the Cranking battery and you're good to go. The four bank would be nice but not really worth the money if theres nothing wrong with your original charger.

·
Registered
700 Posts
Just explain how much longer you can stay on the water, thereby extending her personal time..
Personal time with three young boys doesn't happen. Most of the time when I come home from fishing she is ready to pull her hair out.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yeah, the Fortrex was delivered yesterday. I got it from tackle warehouse with their 20% off deal. One other really nice advantage of the 101 lb thrust is the ability to mow grass. You can blow through the lettuce with the big guns. For me it is 80% extended time, and 20% about the speed. Thanks for theInput.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts