Bass Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys Im going to throw down a report as short as I can......

Alabama weather is worse than Texas as how it changes constantly. On Monday I was sun burned badly and then on tuesday it snowed all day......

Anyways here are my fishing details.......

Learning to fish a true river system was an absolute awesome experience. It was different everyday. I was able to locate three areas south which held 3lb spots and I also had 3 areas up north including an area in which I had to cut down a tree to enter.

DAY ONE:
I head down south to jump around my three areas in order to save my north fish for day two. My first spot I go to sits Denny Brauer. So I run to my second spot which sits Mike Mcclelland. My third area I knew I would have to myself so thats where I head next. This area is on a dead bank.....It is a gravel flat which is only around 30 yards long. In practice I would catch a 3 - 4 lber in just a couple casts with a c-rigged LFT baby creature in a discontinued color. Since the Alabama Power decided to not give us any current today, only short fish resided here today. I caught probably 20+ fish. At noon I have an empty livewell. This is where I decide to change things up and head around 30 miles. With only a couple hours remaining I grab three keepers and break off two beasts. These fish were taking a Talon Hardball finesse jig.

DAY TWO:
CANCELLED DUE TO TORNADOES AND HAIL

DAY THREE:
So I figured out the fish on day one......Im pumped, I am going 30+ miles once again to my jig fish. First I wanted to run even further to check on my backwater area where I cut a tree. As I am coming in, Tommy Biffle is coming out. GO FIGURE.
As I head back down to my area my motor cuts out....Its running super hot! I flag the police boat down (which is currently towing Joe Thomas's boat) to see about being towed in. He says he will come back for me. I begin to haul a** downstream with my trolling motor to try and reach my area before he returns. I get to my area! I fish for around 20 minutes there while putting 3 keepers in the well and up arrives the police boat. I get towed back to the ramp which takes 2 hours. My day is done.

All in all I feel I was on the right fish to really have done some damage but so were some of the best elite anglers. I am proud of myself for changing and figuring something out that could be put together quickly. I cannot begin to explain the amount of knowledge I gained from this experience.

I will post some pics later.......

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Re: PAA Series Neely Henry

Thanks for the report. C-rigged baby LFT creature, eh? I really like pitching that bait in the "5 size, but I typically go with a pretty heavy sinker, enough so to get those legs flapping on the fall... didn't really think it'd be a good c-rig bait, but hey, maybe it's something I'll have to try someday.

Too bad about the motor... happens to everyone at one point or another, I guess...

·
Registered
55 Posts

Wow.............thanks for sharing. I looked at the results and the field was stacked with Elite and FLW Tour and Series competitors............so congratulations for competing with those guys.

Are you going to fish the Toledo Bend event too?

·
Registered
2,298 Posts

Thanks for the report. Must be great fishing with the top pros and congrats for hanging in there!

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

The baby creature is one of the best carolina rigged baits available.
The color I was throwing was Albino Shad which is no longer available.

I cannot begin to explain the amount of knowledge which came from this event. I plan on fishing the T-Bend event as well.

As for the motor, there were six that went down during the final week. Im not sure if the super strong current does something to it or what. I didnt push mine to the max once it began to mess up, however, I cannot say the same for the elite guys......But thats the difference between guys that pay and guys that dont :p

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.