Bass Fishing Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had bought the WP90 and tried twice to catch a fish off my dock. Nothing...no bites
So, I went back yesterday and bought the WP130 since everyone said they catch twice the number of fish with the 130 as the 90.
Sure hope they don't come out with a 260, cause I'm running out of patience....hahaha
Gonna keep trying. The thing sure makes a great spurting sound coming through the water.
Tried retreiving it fast, slow, medium speed, start and stop, pop and stop, and about every other way I could think of.
Any suggestions or maybe I am throwing it the wrong time of the day. I can put a bleeding red eyed shad and rip it through the water, and eventually catch a fish.
Maybe it isn't the technique, but the fish in my slough just arent't looking for a topwater lure cause my zell pop topwater hasn't caught many either.

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
Crack of dawn. I'll throw it all day just cuz I love the topwater bite, but super early til they stop. Usually by ten.
Fishing aint easy...

·
Registered
125 Posts
My guess is, its not the bait. It is either the time you're throwing it or where you are throwing it ... or both.
I have great success with this bait ... in the (wait for it) 130 size. I use MOSTLY the shad/translucent color but have also thrown black on the really overcast occasion, I also own the bone color ... Keep it simple.
I am still using the stock trebles, which have seemed fine but have sharpened them a few times (due to catching fish).

I'm not going to go into details into what I throw it on ... because your issue doesn't seem to be hook-ups (there are other threads on that for the WP), its when you're throwing it.
I mainly throw the WP under these conditions:
- Main lake points with a slight chop on the water
- When I see shad busting or bass schooling
- Typical topwater conditions (i.e sun rise/set) and when its calm, but work it SLOW, like a popper
- Whenever I'd throw a buzz bait, but obviously not over thick cover due to the trebles
- Over shallow grass!

If any of the above conditions are not met, its not even on deck ... but almost ALWAYS tied on. FANTASTIC on Travis, and great when you throw into a bunch of shad breaking the surface.
Make no mistake, bass as big as the bait will hit it. So its not like you only have to 'target' big'uns.

·
Registered
2,305 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for all the comments...I think its just I'm not throwing it under the right conditions. I have only tried it mid morning and early afternoon, never early morning. Can catch fish with red eyed shad all day or t rigged baby brush hog. Maybe will try about the time sun comes up some morning. Again, thanks for all the info and suggestions. Haven't given up on it yet. hahaha

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
I think your primary problem is where you are fishing it. You mentioned fishing it off of your dock... to me that means you are standing in one spot fishing a fairly small area. I don't consider the WP to be a "target bait." Your best success with the WP is straight up covering some ground. 9 times out of 10, when I am fishing the WP, I've got my trolling motor on high and I'm burning down the bank covering A LOT of ground. It's not that you can't catch one from your dock with it, but if you sling it around the area by your dock a few times and don't catch one on it... just put it down and throw something else. The fish around your dock are either going to eat it or they aren't. It's not really the type of bait that's worth throwing at the same spot(s) over and over again.

Something else that stands out to me... you mentioned something about a slough... which suggests to me that you are fishing in more of a protected backwater area. The water back in those areas is generally pretty calm/flat. WP is way more effective when there is at least a little chop/ripple on the water from wind. In calm, protected areas the action of the WP almost seems like it's too much for 'em.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I get well over 1/2 of my topwater bites when I havent moved the lure for for close to a minute. They hit it sitting dead still. I normally throw a spook or a jitterbug.

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
the whole reason i throw topwaters is i gotta be active, doing something...i can sometimes keep it still for a few secs, but that's about it, lol

·
Registered
204 Posts
I personally think that a top waterr lure sitting for more than 25 seconds becomes = to dead bait and they aint gonna want it no more but that dont mean that fish wont hit it after a long time either. I sometimes say "Pause it but dont kill it" you kinda want your lure to look injured not dead. Hope it helps!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Don't know if any of you have found them but Bass Pro now has their own version of the WP. Some I've seen are even in the exact same colors. The Double Down Plopper, as they call it has a tail just as the WP but also has another up front which should create twice the splash/commotion/noise etc...

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
Saw that last night. Big, one ounce lure. Took one outa the box for closer examination. My concern is how are the fish gonna get to the hooks? Lol... I put it back on the rack...the WP creates plenty of racket for me...in fact, I think it works best with a bit less noise....more realistic sounding, like bait fish jumping....

1 - 15 of 15 Posts