Bass Fishing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In my old age I am pretty set in my ways. My grandfather made me learn to cast an Ambassador 5000 (yes the old red ones) until I could do so accurately and without a backlash before he would take me fishing. Since that time I have been hooked on the ABU product and fishing nothing else. Now I am getting my wife and son-in-law excited about fishing. They have moved from Zebco's to spinning reels and want to move up to bait casters. The first couple times were not great experiences so I finally started looking at these "new" reels with the magnetic brakes. Looking at the reviews a found that the KastKing White Max was consistently reviewed as the top reel for the money. And at $40.00 I figured I would try it. Came in over the weekend but I had the grand kids so last night was the big test. Spooled and ready to go, I went down to the Pedernales to try this creature out. I have to say it was much better than I thought. It took a while to get used to the brakes and to stop trying to override them with my thumb but I got the hang of it. I was tossing a black/blue 3/8ths chatter bait along the shoreline in some brush and had no problem casting it into the wind. I caught 3 small chunky LMB walking the shoreline in about 6' of water and then all h#@@ broke loose. Just as the lure hit the water the rod bent and I set the hook. Lesson learned - drag needs to be tested prior to actually fishing with a new reel. He took line heading to the bridge until I could tighten the drag then I began working to turn him away from it. The reel performed really well and after about 30 minutes (really only about 4-5) I was able to see my prize - an alligator gar. The adrenaline rush quickly disappeared as I pulled this 41 inch evil monster to shore. Man did he do a number on my chatter bait. It was bent and wedge in his teeth. Had to use needle nose pliers to pry it out from his mouth. Since I had only brought one lure down to test the reel, the day was done. Overall I will grudgingly give the new reel a passing grade and now it is time to begin training momma and son-in-law how to use it. Keep your lines tight and have a blessed day everyone.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
At least I got a good test on the new reel. Now I just have to replace my chatter bait.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dang Bill - you must not be married :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Although now that I am getting her into fishing she seems much more willing to go shop now. I dont get the "dont you have enough THINGS to catch a fish already" much any more.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts