Bass Fishing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2009 ford F150 with a lift and larger tires. The truck has just about 50k miles now. The dealership gave me the following list that needed to be changed/flushed because the fluids looked "dirty". But per my owner's manual, its say some doesn't need to be replaced until 100k miles. What are your thoughts?
I called them out on the transmission change btw and he said it was because they have limited service records and they recommend changing it every two years or 30k miles. Owners manual doesn't say anything regarding brake fluid flushing, brake pads are fine though. No slipping noted with tranny, no issues with my power steering when turning.

reccomended services per Ford
-Automatic transmission fluid flush
-brake fluid exchange
-coolant system flush
-Power steering flush.

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
Even if the recommended service intervals are mileage based, fluids don't last forever so age needs to be considered.
My recommendations:
1. Get away from the dealership and go to a regular oil change type place. I imagine the warranty is long expired on your truck and the only reason I ever understand for getting routine service performed at a dealership is if it's free, or if the service could have warranty implications. Jiffy Lube or any similar place will be 50% of the cost at a dealership.
2.I'm not real sure about fluids looking "dirty". That's a pretty subjective call.
3.If you continue your blistering yearly mileage pace, according to your manual you wouldn't change the trans fluid until 2025. If you filled your lawn mower with gasoline today and didn't try to start it until 2025 you reckon it would run ?
4. If you're planning on keeping the truck for another 50K miles, get all the fluids changed.
5. If you only do one thing, change the transmission fluid. Think of it this way, if the trans dies you'll likely be at 2K to fix it, if the power steering pump fails it's a couple hundred bucks.
6. If you wait for issues like trans slipping, it will almost certainly be too late to worry about changing the fluid. The good news is the expensive replacement transmission will come with new fluid.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Agree on the transmission flush. Brake system, sure it probably needs it but I wouldn't worry about it unless you have a leak. Again, I wouldn't bother with the coolant system. Power steering, depends on how much transmission was and how much they wanted for that.

·
Registered
22 Posts
3.If you continue your blistering yearly mileage pace, according to your manual you wouldn't change the trans fluid until 2025. If you filled your lawn mower with gasoline today and didn't try to start it until 2025 you reckon it would run ?
Can't really use Gasoline as an analogy since it has ethanol in it and most know it will go bad.

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
Can't really use Gasoline as an analogy since it has ethanol in it and most know it will go bad.
You're exactly correct. I suffer from chronic poor analogy choice better known as CPAC.
So let's say engine oil is the fluid in your lawn mower. Would you expect it to be perform well after 8 years ? Or the cooking oil in your fish fryer ?
8 years is a long time in the life of a fluid exposed to Texas weather. Oxidation, loss of lubricity, degradation of anti-wear and anti-corrosion additives, increased water content due to absorbed condensation, decreased ability to suspend wear accelerating particles, decreased film strength, etc are all issues one faces with 8 year old lubricating fluids.
Poor analogy or not, it's still a dang good idea to change the transmission fluid before 2025. In my opinion of course.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Change the transmission fluid, no need to change brake fluid or coolant unless you are having issues; overheating/spongey pedal.

·
Registered
22 Posts
You're exactly correct. I suffer from chronic poor analogy choice better known as CPAC.
Wasn't making a dig there just an observation.
My rule o thumb is going by when only miles is given is to figure 1000 miles per month whether I drive that 1000 or not except with my oil which I use Mobile1 extended and whether or not I hit 10k and I know it says 15k I change at 10k or 1 year.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts