Bass Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I have a 44lb thrust t-motor on my procraft 162, 12v system. This is just not adequate to chase the schooling fish around - especially in the wind!! :'( In your experience, would i benefit from upgrading to a 12v - 55lb thrust system or should i leave bad alone??
Maybe get a bigger boat!!! - Fat chance :-/ :-X
Brian

·
Registered
418 Posts
To me, battery reserve is more important.  I run a 43-pound thrust trolling motor off two 12-volt batteries hooked in parallel.  

·
Banned
5,461 Posts
Buy the most pounds of thrust you can possibly afford...it's like night and day...

Going from a 44lb thrust to a 55lb would be noticeable, but I don't know if it would be worth it, unless you just needed a new TM.

I would find a way to sneak another battery in there and go with anything over 80# - it will blow you away. My boat will actually go faster with the TM on high then it will if I idle with the big motor...

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's the real question, would spening the $400.00 dollars for a 55 lb system be worth the gain!! ??? ??? Brian

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey G-Tron, don't think were talking about the same weight class! :) Jeremy, I couldn't ask Patrick to share the wealth - but he is going to get the play boat after his honey-moon ;D ;D ;D Seriously guys -- is 55lb better thann 44 ?? Is it worth the money?? "jeremy, he's going to Jamaica - do you need anything?? ;) ;) Brian.

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
"No, mon. I be doin' jus' fine wid wat I have. None o' dat Mary-Jane fo' me. Unless she is blonde, 6' can clean, cook and has a bass boat!"

I still think it is worth a shot to try a 55lber. If you dont like, just box it back up and return to store.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey g-tron, is you t-motor a 12v system @ 82#. That seems incredible. Jeremy, how hard is it to install - I have garmin electronics with transducer on the t-motor. Brian

·
Registered
354 Posts
hey rr its 24v the boat was wired for 12/24v. i just put on some new connectors ran the batteries in series removed the fuses and put in a breaker.it was easy but im also an automotive technician boats have way less wires than the cars i work on.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hey, RR I have a 12/24 volt 55lb Motorguide, I 'm going to upgrade mine to an 82lb. I can give ya a good deal. PM me if interested.
Rich

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
Looks like Rich may have this problem solved for you.

Never have switched one out, but I was thinking you could just unscrew the clamp that holds the shaft from sliding up and down and swith them out that way. I dont know if that would work or not though. I am guessing yours plugs in just like mine so shouldnt be a wiring problem if the 55#er has the same plug in.

·
Banned
1,799 Posts
rr_procraft said:
That's the real question, would spening the $400.00 dollars for a 55 lb system be worth the gain!! ??? ???  Brian
Absolutely not (at least not for the $$)

Kee your eyes open for a 24V system.
80lb+ on your boat, you will notice.

Call fish Finders Marine and talk to Jacky, he just may have on laying around ;).

kp

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hey Jeremy and Swimbait, 24 v system is not going to work as you have said Jeremy. My boat does not have the space for that. Apparently a 55 lb system is not a noticeble difference from a 40 lb system, so upgrading to a 55 lb system is not economicably feasible.
If someone has an alternative to this I would love to hear it! P.S. --- No 24 volt systems!! :p Brian.

·
Banned
5,461 Posts
They make 24 volt batteries that are a little smaller than 2 12 volts...expensive, but might check into it

1 - 20 of 23 Posts