Bass Fishing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have a MK maxxum 70 lb 24v trolling motor on my Legend Alpha 191. I am looking to replace it with an Ultrex but can not decide if I should go with the 24v 80 lb or 36v 112 lb. Is the 112 overkill? Any input?

·
Registered
232 Posts
Not intended to be an expert answer … From what I have read, general rule is 5lbs thrust per 200 lbs weight, where weight is composed of boat, motor, gear, people, batteries, etc. If you are close 80lbs thrust and you have the budget going to 36v, then go for it. Keep in mind additional cost going from 24v to 36v, including (likely) new charger and some wiring. Also, regardless of choosing 24v vs 36vs, this might be good time to replace wiring and breakers to eliminate unknown variables that could come out some time later.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. Not too worried about the cost difference. I am more concerned about 112V pushing the boat too fast. I like the idea of having the extra battery so when I spot lock in rough water or current I do not have to worry about running out of juice. But not sure if the 112 will push it too fast when I am just fishing.

·
Registered
22 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts