Bass Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fished Lake Travis from 7:00 am to 11:00 am on Labor Day.  To my surprise, the Mansfield Dam ramp was completely empty when we got there.

Water was clear and around 85 degrees.  We started fishing coves and my son caught the first bass of the day in open water (~ 40 ft depth) with a white spinner bait when I was just preparing rods.  Thought that was a good sign, but bass fishing turned out to be slow.  Tried lots of things, but caught bass on white spinner bait, bomber crank bait, and plastic minnow jig.  The picture below is of a Guad caught next to the dock at Mansfield Dam when we were pulling the boat out.  Maybe we should have just stayed there to fish???

It rained on us from 9:30 to about 10:00.  When the rain let up, we decided to pull out the worms and go bluegill fishing.  While we did catch a lot of sunfish, it was interesting that we also caught a number of Rio Grande Cichlid.  I have caught them before, but not on Travis.  Sort of interesting and adds another species to my son's "caught list".

All fish released and in good health. ;)

Guad Near Mansfield Dam Ramp

Rio Grande Cichlid

·
Registered
10,698 Posts
Nice pics and report! Thanks for sharing. Those Rio Grande "perch" are good fighters and have cool turquoise colors at times. The ramp was empty at 7 am, but I bet busy when you left. You're brave to fish labor day from mansfield dam ramp!

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
243B372427233F25560 said:
Nice pics and report!  Thanks for sharing.  Those Rio Grande "perch" are good fighters and have cool turquoise colors at times.  The ramp was empty at 7 am, but I bet busy when you left.  You're brave to fish labor day from mansfield dam ramp!
This may sound crazy, but I find Mansfield Dam to be the best on busy weekends. I have had to wait 30+ minutes to pull out of Cypress Creek. Lake Austin is not even an option. The picture taken of my son with the Guad was at 11:00 am on Labor Day. There are only two trailers on the ramp. Sometimes I guess it is just a roll of the dice.

·
Registered
353 Posts
That is one of the best trotline baits and Yellowcats love them. Those are some tough fish. Very fun to catch. They usually are really tight to the rocks. There are tons of them in Travis. We will catch over 100 of them in a couple hours when we go set lines.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.