Bass Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went out on Travis 6:30 to 11:00 this morning.  My son caught one on the dock at Mansfield Dam before we even left (picture below - looks like a smallmouth).  Fished around Arkansas Bend and caught 7 before 9:00.  Fish were caught on a white spinner bait and a curly tail grub with a jig head.  

The wind was getting bad, so around 9:00 we headed to Emerald Point Marina to fish the protected docks.  We went old school with worms on a hooks and caught so many bluegill that we lost count.  It took longer to take them off the hook than it did to catch a new one.  My son also caught two channel cats.

Overall, it was a good day considering the wind.   On the way back to Mansfield, were hit by a rouge wave (for Travis). Sort of rough.

· Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Travis - June 13

Yes.  It looked a lot like a smallmouth.  The vertical stripes were striking and there was some bronze coloring around the head.  It made me wonder if any of the gene pool from the 1970's smallmouth bass stockings were still mixed with the Guadalupe bass.  I think when smallmouth and spotted bass cross-bread they call them "Mean-mouth Bass."

· Registered
10,698 Posts
Either smallmouth or smallie/guad hybrid. There have been more recent stockings of smallmouths by private individuals who stock them in tributaries (creeks) that flow into Travis and the Pedernales. When a good rain comes, it floods the creek smallies into the lake and we sometimes catch them. There may still be some genes from the remote stockings too. Thanks for the report.

· Registered
4,330 Posts
Sounds like a great way to spend some time with your son. Interesting looking fish you got there. Thanks for the report.

· Registered
2,330 Posts
The first pic says it all, he could care less what kind it is , he has it by the lip!!!!

· Registered
4,330 Posts
1433352E24332B3E052E3D29323434470 said:
Someone needs to settle the debate and send the photo to TPWD.  It's totally a Guad/Smallie hybrid.
I don't believe anyone at TPWD would make a positive id of any type from the photo on this report, let alone without a genetic sample from the bass.

· Registered
11,981 Posts
Meanmouth! I caught one at Red Bud a few years back on a shakey off the rocks in front of the dam. I have also pulled a smallie from LA. I would have to agree with RO that the private stocking accounts for these fish showing up from time to time.

· Registered
428 Posts
This guy sure looks like a smallie to me, but he has a rough tongue patch. My understanding is that the rough tongue patch is a Guad deal. So I guess this is another hybrid

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.