Bass Fishing Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lake Travis is fishing very well right now. Hit it yesterday with some clients and got into them pretty quick. We mainly fished shallow ledges and backs of coves. We caught them on crankbaits, brush hogs, lizards and trick worms to start and then saw a point start blowing up so headed over there with shallow crankbaits and a wakebait and loaded the boat mainly with whites with a few largemouth mixed in and even a striper. Fast and furious and every cast for a while there. We then moved around that cove and caught a few more largemouth and then headed to the back of another cove and I hooked a lake record...long nose gar at 20.08 lbs. Time to go certify the scale and get it on the books. lol All in all we had a lot of fish, close to 80 with 6 different varieties of fish, largemouth, guadalupe bass, white, striper, gar and even 1 black crappie. That crappie was huge. Fun day on the lake. Let me know if you want to go. Book anytime.
gar331-2008.jpg

·
Registered
164 Posts
I was out at Decker and those gar were spawning like crazy. There must have been 30 of them at least right up on the bank doing their freaky business. I couldnt get one to hit anything; even bounced lures right off their noses because I was able to get so close.

There were at least a couple monster females that were attracting a bunch of males (I'm guessing thats what was going on). They would all get real close right beside her and then the water would blow up with all kinds of thrashing and hell. Cool stuff. I have never really run into gar all that often around Austin. Also have no idea how to try and catch them, much less boat one. Congratulations on that record.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts