Bass Fishing Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Good Day All!
A while back my lady got a great deal on a "Humminbird PiranhaMax 150. I am looking to install it in my kayak any tips/tricks? After looking at my kayak(Future Beach Trophy 126) I came to the conclusion it would be best to mount it on the inside. However the bottom of the hull is slightly con caved up. The flattest spot I have been able to find is located directly behind the seat in between the foam barrier wall and the back of the seat. Is that a good spot for it?I removed the foam(because it had come un glued following me taking on a 15' breaker in Port A). The plan so far is to mount the transducer behind the seat, re-seal the foam(mainly for protection) stick the small sealed marine battery(thanks amazon) directly behind the foam with Velcro and mount the display on the deck probably next to the small hatch. This will require me to run wires from behind the seat and up to the display. Should/can I use the wire fasteners and shallow screws and some marine sealer to route the wires? I'm already going to be getting some to re-secure the foam separator. According to Humminbird I can trade in the current transducer for another more suited for the application. I'm not sure if it's worth the headache. I don't want to buy anything else. The instructions included a setup test that requires floating the boat and filling in the mounting area with water so you can determine the best spot for the transducer. But a large enough pool/pond/etc to do this is a little outta the way. Humminbird also stated that I should use epoxy to secure the transducer. I've read that some just use the marine silicone. This is a one shot kinda thing and I want to get it right. I'm sure most of y'all know how easy it is(har har) to remove something like epoxy. Lastly, should I goop the area/holes where the display mount goes? It'll be up top and I know the less open holes you have the less chance of seepage. I'm just tryin to keep it neat.
Thanks for any direction, and this forum is the best!
Rick

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I just got off the phone with Humminbird. They told me the pre-test is mainly for boats that go faster than kayaks to compensate for delay. The location I was considering is probably the best option and even while moving the most the delay would be probably 2' behind the boat. The slow drying epoxy is the way to go. And the only thing that would be affected by interior mounting would be the temp sensor(which the manual already stated. So I guess that answers that! No swap/waiting required! Time to get busy!

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
Low temperature hot glue is your friend. The low temp part is important since it cures much slower and gives you time to smush the transducer into the hole. It will mount the ducer and keep it stuck on so you can try it out. I used it to mount an oversize Ray Marine transducer in a scupper hole on my Slayer almost a year ago and it's till stuck on.
I'm definitely on the side of the transducer needs to be in the water. Paying money for the most sensitive FF you can have and then handicapping it by making it shoot through a layer of plastic never made sense to me.

Also..look here: http://austinkayakfishing.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=4 Scroll through that topic and you will see tons of FF mounting ideas and pictures.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts