Bass Fishing Forum banner

Town Lake

1K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  Acuna 
#1 ·
What's up with bass in Town Lake. I've not been able to catch any LMB in Town Lake, although occasionally I catch small mouths.

On other lakes (Lake Austin, Lake Bastrop) I do fine in catching LMB.

Last Saturday morning I went fishing in Lake Austin (in a kayak), launched at loop 360, and caught 3 bass (2 dinks, 1 about 3+ lbs). I fished from 6:30 till 10:30 when the boat traffic just got too bad.

Do you have any hints for Town Lake?

#5 ·
I have never caught a smallie in Town but I finally reestablished a pattern for the LMB out there. Caught 7 yesterday but still no big ones. I think all the highering and lowering of the water which changes the water temp has thrown off the bite a little. For a pattern - You need to be fishing close to deep water right now, may catch them in 2 but right next to 20 and I would through something watermelon though they seem to be eating shad/minnows that one spit up in the boat yesterday. As well, I am always trying to bum backseats especially since my boat is only big enough for town so if you want to partner up some time I would be glad to show you what I know and will help split costs. - Jon

#7 ·
Truckn,

My buddy and fished for about 5 hours on Sunday. We managed only 3 small ones between us. Pretty much stayed around Red Bud. They started flowing water about 5 minutes after we quit. They seem to bite the best when some water is flowing out of Tom Miller. We were bothered by the perch bite all morning. I guess they're spawning now. That might be some fun - catching one on every cast with worms or crickets. Going to Travis this weekend if the weather holds. Tight lines.

#8 ·
I have caught a few tiny smallmouth in Town Lake, but have caught quite a few 1-3 lb'ers in the River down by Webberville Park. In fact, I think I've caught almost as many smallies as LMB down there. The largemouth seem to be in the pools and quiet water off to the sides; and the smallies are more frequent in the riffles and the faster currents.

I need to get down to Webbervile again; I stopped going there when the water turned cloudy for a long while, probably silt from SH130 construction. I have to check and see if it is better now.

#9 ·
Town Lake fishing was sloooow yesterday. I couldn't buy a bass bite and only caught one fish- a HUGE bluegill that ate a texas rigged worm. That sucker swallowed it too!!!

Other than that, I caught squat. I might have been a little too slow on the hookset for a couple of "maybe" taps, but couldn't really get any good bites.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.