Bass Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
I've never found one.

But next time we get a turd floater and the lake is white water, you can see where the old low water bridges and such were west of Congress. One of the reasons for the "No outboards". :eek:

·
Registered
686 Posts
One of the reasons for the "No outboards".
Horse hocky...

The reason why the lake is No Outboards is because it's in the middle of Austin and at one time was considdered "The best Water Ski lake in Texas" because of proximity to bars and restuarants etc... the lake was over run with boat traffic. The city wanted to move all the boats and traffic that go along with that to Lake Austin so they put a ban on the lake. Back in the day it was the place to ski and hange out on the water.

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
Clint,

That would have been east of Congress and west of present day Mo-Pac.

In between is not to kind to lower units. Like I said, wait til the water flows to see the rapids caused by underwater stuff. I've got pictures of Town after the '81 Memorial Day flood that shows white water in front of Auditorium Shores. The white water is caused by old bridge pilings and old low water crossing that were there before the lake was inundated.

I've been here since 1959 and have never seen anyone ski on that lake except for the shows the Austin Ski Club put on at Festival Beach in the 60's. My parents were members of the ski club.

They also had drag boat racing at Festival Beach as well until the folks in East Austin complained about the noise and traffic. They now hold them up on Marble Falls.

Austin Aqua Fest used to do a lighted night parade on Town back when it was going on. They used power boats to pull the barges that held the floats and we were given specific instructions where to boat with the outboard in front of Auditorium Shores due to underwater obstacles. I was a Aqua Dust volunteer.

That is why I said "one" of the reasons. The primary reason was noise.

·
Banned
5,460 Posts
Where is my popcorn smiley...haha j/k

How strickly do you think they would enforce the outboard rule? I mean if you cranked her up to help get it on the trailer, you think folks would complain?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Grnhead said:
Where is my popcorn smiley...haha j/k

How strickly do you think they would enforce the outboard rule?  I mean if you cranked her up to help get it on the trailer, you think folks would complain?
I dont think they would be that strict,I know someone was running theirs a while back and the UT rowing people actually stopped them,turns out their trolling motor died and they were just trying to get back to the ramp. I believe another reason for the no outboards is to keep oil and gas out of town. I know they had their hands full with the amount of runoff from the streets,so I think they are doing anything they can to help keep it clean.

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
I love when posts make you look things up.  8)

While snooping, I found out that Town was not built for flood control as the other Highland lakes, It was built to form a cooling pond for the Holly Street power plant.

Also, there is maximum rating for electric motor power,
No electric motors with more than 5 horsepower.  :eek: ???

Now its off to look for pounds of thrust to horsepower conversion.  ::)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So where do these bridge pilings run in front of Auditorium Shores in proximity to the entrance? Any idea how deep they are, or how deep the lake is right there at the entrance for that matter? ???

·
Registered
933 Posts
When going up the river towards Lamar Bridge, stay to the left and you won't have a problem. Once you have past the COA Power Plant go back towards the right. The pilings are right out in front of the power plant. There is a nice rock pile next to the pilings. There is a buoy attached to one of the pilings. But why go to Town Lake? There are no fish in that lake. ;) ;D

·
Registered
29 Posts
About ten years ago I was night fishing on TL. I was in a hurry to get to the under water structer around the old dam. Started my 70 hp Yamaha to idle up river from around the paddle boat, had put in at the Holiday Inn ramp. Was pulled over and ticketed by a bicycle cop. Thought I would have my day in court so I set a court date. Judge told me that I should obey the law and fined me $210.00 dollars. Lesson learned!!! CAM

·
Registered
686 Posts
Hehe caught me on an off day. I wasn't trying to ruffle feathers. I'm sure if there was a guest account the flames would have been on! Any way, you did put "One" in there, apologies.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So is that why all those buoys are out alon the lake opisite side of the rowing docks? Are the marking some underwater hazard? I always just though they were just lanes for the rowing club. Or should i be looking for something other than the white markers? If i'm remembering correctly there is an orange buoy right around there.
Also I'll hopefully be out there this weekend, I'll be in a big orange canoe w/ trolling motor and a set of stabilizers sticking out so i can stand. I stick out like a sore thumb so hollar at me if you there, (if ur on the bank I'll be more than happy to pick you up for som fishin)

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Amen, Hookem. I lived at on Academy at Riverside... before the street got closed off... in 1973-4 and the humongous noise from the AquaFest jet boats at 8am came mighty early after a long night at the ArmadilloWHQ

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thank you Ranger... I've actually seen that map before, and prob every map avail for town lake, but none seent o show any real conture lines or depths. Guess i will have to wait till i hok a depth finder to the canoe and spend a couple days maping it out my self. I had no idea there was those bridge pilings there...wonder what else i can find out.... ;D I would love to hear about any more structure I would love to hear about it. I live in san antonio so I dont get to go out and check it out everyday, but it by far my favorite lake to fish on.

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
SA,

Google Earth!

From their images, you can see the rip-rap between the mouth of Shoal Creek and the railroad bridge to the west. It extends almost the entire width of the lake. You can also see the sandbars created by the outflow of Shoal, Barton, Waller and the small creek just east of the Mo-Pac bridge.

Notice also, the underwater stuff east of the I-35 bridge, south shore near the dam.

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
Fishin_Steeler said:
Amen, Hookem. I lived at on Academy at Riverside... before the street got closed off... in 1973-4 and the humongous noise from the AquaFest jet boats at 8am came mighty early after a long night at the ArmadilloWHQ
OFF-TOPIC.....

FS,

Too Smooth plays the Saxon Pub Jan. 11-12.
Best damn rock band to never make it out of Austin.
Mamie Momma! 8) 8) 8)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts