Bass Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fishing South end of Town Lake Sunday.

Happy to report landing potential Share-a-Lunker. On bathroom scales, he measures 11.5. 24.5 inches.

Caught out of my Ocean Kayak just after sundown on brown lizard/ creature soft plastic. 10 lb test.

I will say, this fish has a relativley small mouth for such a monster!

UPDATE!

FISH WAS DELICIOUS!

Question: Does a dead fish qualify for Share a lunker? Im going to Wal Mart to purchase a quality scale, which I can now tell everyone interested in this program, to go out and buy one!

If its not 13.00 lbs, maybe a lake record. I will find out soon!

UPDATE!

Re-weighed fish today on our industrail postal scale...

fish weighs 10.04
Happy fishing! :)

·
Registered
5,366 Posts
Congratulations on a great catch but I am sorry to tell you that dead fish do not qualify for share lunker program. :eek: Your fish must be 13+ lbs(and alive) to enter share lunker status. They are taking these 13+ fish and breeding them with large males inorder to hopefully breed the next world record bass. I am thrilled that you caught the fish, but a little dissapointed that you killed it. But it is your fish and your decision.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Kind of hard to tell how big it is when you choose to kayak fish. Ah the spoils of not using gasoline powered motors upon our public drinking water supply!

But I know what you mean about being dissapointed about killing it...

G

·
0 Posts
Sherkus, Congratulations. I've got a Jon boat and I want to fish TL. I see people running small engines so can I assume limited running of my 5 hp is OK? I also have a electric trolling motor. Are you interested in going? I need a guide and it sounds like you know the spots. By the way, I have a digital scale.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Chac - no gas motors are allowed on TL only electric. The only people allowed to use gas motors are the rowing club - otherwise you can get a ticket. I used to fish the lake all the time but have not in a while... might have to now though bc of this hawg. I would be happy to show you around but right now my schedule is booked. I'll keep you in mind, or just let me know when you are going.

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
City if Austin Town Lake Rules

http://www.ci.austin.tx.us/parkpolice/pkboat.htm

LAWS:

It shall be unlawful for any person to swim, bathe, wade or go into the waters of Town Lake, except in efforts to rescue and recover human beings.

It shall be unlawful for any person to fish from the deck or other portion of any bridge which crosses the Colorado River within the city limits.

It shall be unlawful for any person to dive from or jump off any bridge which crosses the Colorado River within the city limits.

No person shall operate a gas powered motor vessel on the waters of Town Lake, except with the permission of the city. Motorboats operated by officers and employees of the city in the performance of their official duties are exempt.

No person on any watercraft on Lake Austin, Lake Walter E. Long, or Town Lake shall possess, use or operate, or assist in the use or other similar device capable of propelling or launching fluid filled balloons or other projectiles.

No person within 150 yards of the shoreline of Lake Austin, Lake Walter E. Long, or Town Lake shall use or operate, or assist in the use or other similar device to propel or launch fluid filled balloons or other projectiles towards the waters of said lakes.

Only boats powered by electric motors which do not exceed a capacity of five horsepower can operate on Town Lake.

It shall be unlawful for any person to occupying watercraft located on Town Lake for the purpose of sleeping between dusk and dawn or overnight habitation unless the City Council approves otherwise.

·
Banned
5,460 Posts
From what I gather, don't bother Tim. You would have to winch it back on the trailer (pain) and that is assuming your truck didn't get stolen.... :eek:

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
I was just about to ask about puttinig it back on the trailor. I don't think I've got the back to wench it up. :p Time to talk my drinking buddies into that 16' Aluminum Bass Tracker! ;D

·
Banned
1,012 Posts
Congrats on the hawg!  I'd love to see pics.

I'm a proponent of "pro choice" fishing.  I've kept some trophy fish (pre-replica era) and released trophy fish.  I respect your decision to keep or release.  There are however many ways to measure a fish and keep them alive (if desired) when kayak fishing.

-Rich

·
Banned
5,460 Posts
Well, I guess that makes me Pro-Life when it comes to a bass that size 8)

But, since it's already gone to bass heaven, Air is bringing the drinks, I will bring the paper plates :)

·
Registered
5,366 Posts
Sorry man, I wasn't really trying to rag on you as it may have seemed. I don't want you to get the wrong impression of me. I guess I was really just jealous your 11#+ fish. So, can't wait to see some pics of this bad boy. ;)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts