Bass Fishing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This past week I’ve made the rounds of area lakes utilizing the four modes available to me: bicycling, dry-wading, kayaking and boating.

Bicycled the neighborhood pond and blanked. I did see a dad perform a textbook hook-set. After his line got tight, he performed an even better hand-off to his pre-teen daughter. He got the rod into her hands right before the bass jumped. She played it down and dad got the cool pic.

I took my neoprene waders over to the Catch & Fillet Pond. As I approached the shoreline, I heard someone in the tall grass delivering a beatdown. I hollered out to announce my presence and a head and shoulders with wader straps appeared above the shore shrubs. He stated he was cleaning his catch and would be leaving shortly. Heck yeah, that’s why its the C&F! The sound was him bludgeoning some 24” channies. I stepped in around his deployed lines and waded into the wind. I caught some fun fish and reacquainted with a yakker I hadn’t seen in awhile.

Last night, I dropped the yak into the Catch & Release Pond. Thankfully, the authorities have reinstalled the “Catch and Release Only” sign. It’s a chore educating the bank from the yak. Anyhoo, the bite was on! It was like Dr. Seuss: Big fish, little fish, fat fish, skinny fish, they were ALL biting. I caught redears and a slab crappie. I caught some hard-pulling fun-fish and rod-jerking cutie-pies. Chrismaxrocks waved as we crossed the lake, me heading out.

This morning I got to Town Lake before sunrise. I dropped in at safe light and started getting bites right away. I didn’t bring the whole arsenal, but one rod I should have brought is my punch rig. It’s probabably a one-and-a-half ounce tungsten necessary to punch the Town Lake mat of syringes, condoms and wine corks. My Goodness, please don’t ever swim in this lake.

It was my best day on the Bird. I was throwing lipless, senko, drop-shot and Texas-rig and it was all getting hammered. It was a really fun day. I caught around twenty largemouth and missed a bunch. I put on my bib at 9am and rain coat at 3pm. Off at 4pm.
799F058F-0B7F-4E59-AC4F-1C81E04A7F5E.jpeg
7DD1B2C0-AB5E-4FA9-AF5F-8FE10413B529.jpeg
D9653938-BECC-412D-9405-1054207E8066.jpeg
AEC25632-CAA5-4D44-81ED-E1D5D8FCCF56.jpeg

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
i dont know whether to cheer or be disgusted! town lake sounds horrible! gtown is great cuz there's, like, nobody there! cmon out! lol

·
Registered
106 Posts
Great job, Jeremy. And agreeing with Bill, kinda glad I don't frequent Town Lake much anymore, and G-town has been nice this year

·
Registered
20 Posts
I started fishing Town Lake in 1972 when I was at UT. Fished from the bank and caught some decent fish. Around 2000-2003 my son was at UT. I used to visit from East Texas and bring my Bass Tracker. We had some excellent days. Kayak fishing wasn't popular at that time and paddle boards were not there in numbers yet. Basically had it to ourselves.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Nice round of fish Jeremy. Man, I need to catch some bass and I'm having a hard time. Lake Pf is now closed. Went to Lake GT for the first time, put in at Cedar Breaks...fished that beautiful body of water, in and out of super nice looking coves with great timber cover, threw drop shot, spinner, swim baits, and a nice chartreuse curly tail 1/4oz jig with small spinner blade....NOT ONE SINGE NIBBLE the entire 5 hours...I started wondering...there's absolutely zero vegetation in this lake...there are zebra mussels EVERYWHERE! I know, I can't make a final decision after one trip but for the weather, barometer, cloud cover and time of year there was absolutely no reason to not catch a single fish. Had a buddy with me too, NADA!

So where is this catch and clean pond? And, town lake, I've launched at Festival Beach many times, is it still open? Basically, where can I find close quality fisheries with an open launch ramp?

Thank you,
Roy

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Happy Easter!

I miss fishing with Jeremy.
I miss you too brother! Go get tested for antibodies so we can both be in the same boat! LOL!

I fished G-town one time from the bank. I need to reconnoiter before I launch. I suppose I should launch at Cedar Breaks. I’m a bit intimidated to share water with watercraft powered by gas engine.

You can walk across the catch & clean by stepping on yaks and never get your feet wet. As far as what’s open and what’s not I can’t help. I called the City Of Jonestown Friday and no one returned my call. Anywhere is a crap shoot for sure in these, “uncertain times”...

Regarding Town Lake, I actually really like Lady Bird despite the litter. Free launching on Sunday. Steady parade of stunners jogging by and waving from the trail. It’s a good lake for a buggy like mine. I really like Longhorn314’s post. Lady Bird is a special lake. I didn’t mean to give a bad impression, just an exaggerated description of an urban body of water that has this city boy feeling right at home. The only “problem” are the rowers who comically apologize for running into me or my line. Those guys need to use their mirrors Or get some back-up cameras.

Yesterday, I accidentally selected MAX at the parking pay station. I’m kinda frugal, so ten bucks is a lot to me, especially since bad weather was likely to chase me off early. Luckily, I’d brought two PB&J sandwiches and a gallon of water along with my usual two bananas, two granola bars, and two cans of water. I also had rain gear, so I stayed until the 4pm expiration. Worth every penny.

Dropping in to the Bird was surreal, like a post-apocalyptic sci-fi movie. I‘ve been workIng at the corner of Ceasar Chavez and Congress during the week and its pretty quiet around the river. Yesterday when I launched, not a soul, anywhere, due to the city’s orders. Around 10 am, the masses went stir crazy and flooded the trail. At 1:30 pm, I saw a pair of park rangers get on the overwater portion of the trail (flykast’s neighborhood) and ask people to leave the trail. They saw me fishing a cast length away but said nothing to me.

Today, I dropped the yak into the C&R between squall lines. The only person in the park was an old man chewing a cigar who pointed at the ominous dark clouds rolling up and said, “I don’t know what its gonna do.”

I said, “It’s gonna rain, but the fish are already wet!”

Last Friday, I lost several bites on the Ned rig. I checked the ’shroomhead hook point and it had been blunted as you would expect from a bottom contact exposed hook technique. I put the stone to the hook and restored the point. It worked. Today I got all the Ned fish to the yak but two good senko fish jumped off, doh! Off at noon.
5E5CCEA6-B8FA-448D-8FE1-934B8FB9FCBE.jpeg
E3594D2B-CF8C-4C4F-AC2E-5626B1534439.jpeg

5B9D5646-8195-4AB4-8C15-208112DEB74C.jpeg

1 - 7 of 7 Posts