Bass Fishing Forum banner
21 - 40 of 80 Posts

· Registered
5,334 Posts
Dan, I think the event thing would be cool. If you are interested in calling this a ABF event you will have to seek approval through HHJ. Regardless we could all go out catch fish, eat fish and drink some beer. Sounds like fun to me. I like June or July, school will be in session! :D

· Banned
1,536 Posts
Aggie_Fisher09,

Give me a shout we can see if we can find a date in June that would be good by then the bass should be schooling pretty decent even if they arent its Bastrop we should be able to locate some fish ;D.

I would be interested in maybe even renting a cabin and staying out there.

My e-mail is on the Homepage under contact us.

Take Care
H.H.J.

· Registered
1,412 Posts
This is really starting to sound like a great event. Getting a cabin or at least camping with a fish fry and several miller lites. Life does not get any better.

Please get some dates solidified and lets make this thing happen. ;)

Jim ;D

· Banned
1,633 Posts
I have a large fryer that I could bring -OR- lend out to someone that'll be there if I'm not.

Quick questions for the Strop regulars:

Are there fish cleaning stations at South Shore?  I usually launch at North Shore and don't remember seeing any on the north side.

Which park or shore has the most room for beaching all of the boats.  

· Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
HHJ I will shoot you over an email later this evening. The only problem I see would be not catching enough unders to feed everybody. Im kind of still trying to figure out how to work everything.........the cabin idea would be great also. Like I said earlier this was just an idea I had to try to help the fish population on Bastrop and to get everyone together for a good time. Seems like with the responses its a good idea. If anyone has anything to add its more than welcome.....im kind of green when it comes planning events.

· Registered
10,147 Posts

· Banned
1,633 Posts
WyattDS said:
Just curious, if you "get rid of the dinks" in a lake then what fish become the large fish in the future?  At some point every good fish was a dink, right?
This is a good point.  Total extermination of all bass under the slot length would not be good because that'd kill any future stock to grow.  

I'm guessing that when you read or hear people saying: "get rid of the dinks" they really don't mean they want to kill any and all bass under a certain length.  

Most if not all the ABF anglers that fish Bastrop or any other lake want to preserve and manage the fishery so it continues to produce fish and potentially produce quality fish.   Key word:  Manage

Removing some of the under the slot fish would definitely help manage the fish.  

Feel free to contact Steve Magnelia, a fisheries biologist in the Inland Fisheries Management  division of TPWD for our area.

My curiousity is peaked as well so I just called and talked to Steve on the phone and will relay his professional insight.

-Go out, have the tourney and eat those unders.  It's not going to hurt at all and would help.  He may even join us out there.  

-Why, becuase not enough people retain unders on slot lakes.  So the slot management practice really isn't working to it's full potential becuase fish that need to be thinned out aren't being thinned.  On Bastrop the majority of fish grow to 18 inches and stop.  Yes, there are overs here and there but fewer becuase the over abundance of the unders.  He did go on to say that Bastrop seems to be "OK" with the problem but over the long run it can be bad for a lake.  He stated Georgetown as an example.

I'd say the biggest thing I learned from our conversation was that slot limits work.  However, for it to really be effective we need to protect certain sized fish as well as manage or thin out other sized ones to preserve and improve the fishery as a whole.

All that said, Lets do it!!

I'll email Steve with an invite when everything is finalized.

· Registered
5,006 Posts
Im in, if we get a date set I'll get a cabin and maybe I can find 3 roomies for the weekend. I have a cabin for this weekend and I know there are 2 sets of bunkbeds and a window unit and thats about it.

Will this be a free for all to fish? I don't know how you make a tourney situation out of a unch of small fish. Now if someone wants to throw in a few bucks to see who bings in the biggest fish that would be cool ;)

Debbie's right, might want to get a date set so we can reseverve cabins asap.

· Registered
108 Posts
Thanks for looking into that Rude! Just figured someone should ask that question. Certainly a smallish-lake fish population is a somewhat delicate thing and I just wanted to make sure the right information was being used. Thanks again. I'll be out Troppin it today...

21 - 40 of 80 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.