Bass Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I have debated with myself about even bringing this up and I am sure it will bring on a fierce debate but what the heck.

My son and I fished the Round Up on Sunday and we were lucky enough to start on a spot that we felt was holding fish and sure enough he caught a 6.4lb and got a check. On the way to weigh it in my steering cable broke (8 am). This greatly limited our ability to move around. After fishing a while across from the weigh in we decide to try and idle back down where we had started. 20 minutes later we got there and to my surprise no one was there.

So here is the question of etiquette. We tried holding to this one spot, maybe 25 yards of lake, and just hope for the best. Now I know that 25 feet is a pretty short distance and with in the rules of this tournament but at one point a boat fished between us and the bank (at least one person in the boat is a member of this forum) and made no attempt to even acknowledge that we were there, you know a nod a wave or something. This seemed incredibly arrogant to me and I resisted the urge to slap my lure against their motor. Then after advancing about 20 yards past us they pulled up the trolling motor and took off.

My son questioned why I did not say anything and told him it was not worth it. So what are ya’lls opinions on this subject?

·
Registered
5,334 Posts
I must say that is pretty rude. But its hard to say what the intent was. Were they slowly fishing past you or just cruising by, either way an acknowledgment would have been apropriate. I am sorry to here that this was someone from this forum, maybe they will explain themselves. I am certain they know who they are.

·
Registered
3,573 Posts
TJ,

Sorry to hear about that, I think you handled it correctly by not saying anything and just blowing it off. At the same time if we all keep blowing it off the guys that keep "encroaching" the public water you are fishing will keep doing so and not even flinch.

Out the guy and let him come on and "defend" his reason for doing so. Maybe they didn't know it was bad etiquette to cac blac someone ???

Man, after seeing you and Kyle fish your spot during the Decker jackpots and cashing week after week after week Tom and I kept joking about beating you to it one day. Of course that never happened because some people actually do believe in proper etiquette.

Congrats again on your big fish for the hour.

·
Registered
3,688 Posts
My question is, What can you say?

The water is just as much yours to fish as it is there's to fish.

Do I think most people would do that? No.

Will some people do that? Yes.

There is nothing you can do about the way other people fish when they are fishing the same water as you. All YOU can do is the right thing and it will all work out in the end.

There is no good that will come from you saying something to them at that point in time IMO.

Chris

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Airfob the guy is pretty popular on here and to be fair he was in the back of the boat. The guy controlling the boat is well known but not sure if he is a member of this forum.

As for Decker most guys know each other out there and seems like everyone is pretty respectful and if I remember right you end up kicking our butt and taking the BIG money.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Chris,

I understand what you are saying but do you think maybe the same way people learn where and with what to fish on open forums like this that maybe by hearing other people opions they might change thier ways?

·
Registered
3,688 Posts
Of corse I do and I think you have done the right thing by posting this up as a question. I also think you did the right thing on the water by not saying anything right then and there.

I think sometimes people have to be told they are doing something wrong before they will understand that they are, You not saying anything on the water and bringing it up on hear was the right way to go about it.

Chris

G

·
I guess the question is did this guy just shoot in front of you on purpose or was it far enough that he didn't realize it?  I don't know, I'm always one to give the benefit of the doubt to.  Not sure what I would have done, but I've had on several times had someone zip right in a little ways ahead of me and kinda cut me off out on LA.  I usually just pull up and take off to another spot.   However comma... while I was out on a recent trip I had this one boat that just kept showing up on every spot I was fishing.  Funny thing is the guy never dropped his trolling motor.. He'd just hang for a sec about 50 yards away and then blast off...   hmmmmmm...

·
Registered
150 Posts
Okay listen to this several years ago a friend and I were fishing a tournament on Red River out of Shreveport , my friend and I were fishing a bank on the main river and he was slow rolling a big spinnerbait and I was fishing a 1 ounce jig with craw trailer we were targeting large snags and there was a heap of current these two guys (who were fishing the same tourney) were flying up River looked over saw my buddy pull in a dink shut their boat down t/motor in water hy bypass to within 25 ft of our bow and cut us slap off and started fishing the bank in front of us ??? ??? My buddy just stood there with his mouth open then his face turned beet red he said something between clenched teeth I will not divulge here, I however was cool as a cucumber because I noticed that both anglers were fishing shallow cranks. My buddy wanted to raise holy hell or leave I said " Let's follow these guys and Load the Boat" we proceeded to do just that my friend caught 6 fish , I caught 4 when I hooked and landed the 6lber which ended up vaulting us into third place and an $800.00 check, the fine fishermen in front of us pulled up his trolling motor and hauled his rear. Not a word passed between our two boats. Later when I noticed the two offending anglers after the weigh-in I made sure and told the story about how two guys came and cut us off and brought us all that good luck with them. By the way my philosophy is simply this especially when tournament fishing, I am good enough to fish behind Rick Clunn and Mike Iaconelli and still catch more fish than them, ( now that PROBABLY IS a stretch) and my common sense tells me it is not accurate however when T-Fishing that is my Mind Set, If you do the right things on the water good things will happen , with some anglers and I believe this,,, honestly the main reason they intrude is because they don't know any better they are new to the sport and havent been sitting in a Bass boat since they were six years old as many of us have.

·
Registered
266 Posts
It sounds like I'm in Ca again. Whats so funny is we have ponds in Ca compared to TX lakes. In CA you have to fish aggresive, if someone comes up on your spot you better throw at them or say good-bye to your spot. You should of tried it, they will get the hint after you chuck at them a few times.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Collector,
They fished up to us once and then turned and fished away. the next time they fished up to us and then fished between us and bank right over where we were casting. No way they did not know.

Mater,
I subscribe to the same theory. They saw us catch several fish and then put thier boat right on top of the fish as they fished by pounding the shore. After they left we still caught more fish.

·
Banned
1,780 Posts
There's always a T where somebody will display / receive poor etiquette. The more # of boats, the greater the possibility.

Couple of things:

1. If it bothered you bad enough to confront the person, do it offline where it is you and them.

2. Calling a person out in any forum, especially this one, will not only cause a heated he said / she said debate, but cause a black eye to the site.  Do we want to encourage that?  I think not.

I think the approach you took thus far hopefully sent a message to the offender, if not then oh well.

Congrats to your son on winning a check!

kp

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
As far as he said she said goes I actually used the video recorder on my phone to record the event. I have no intention of calling the person out on this forum. What I do want to use this forum for is information. And I think it is important that people understand that no matter who they are or who they think they are there is always room for common courtesey. Hopefully the offender and anyone else who may have done something similar will see the responses posted here and understand how the majority feels on the subject.

I doubt that ths could in any way cause a "black eye" to this forum. I think that the members of this site are fairly well respected and that thier opinions hold at least some weight.

Sometimes I think BS has to be called on certain actions and since I only fish a few tournaments every now and then I wanted to make sure that I had not missed out on some new every man for himself attitude change among casual tournament fishermen.

·
Premium Member
694 Posts
I wasn't lucky enough to make it out there this year, but it sounds like entries were down a bit this year. Any tournament on LA where you start pushing 100 boats it gets really really crowded. In the past, I've just had to grin and bear it. I have literally caught fish under other people's boats as they trolled over the spot we were fishing. Also, the BSCBC/Arc tournament has always seemed like more of a fun tournament to me (like the HHJ jackpots) and I worry less about stuff like that during fun tournaments.

·
Banned
1,780 Posts
Clarifying my prev response:

I agree with your original post, to discuss a situation, receive feedback, thus hopefully sending a message to any offender.

fishndude said:
I doubt that ths could in any way cause a "black eye" to this forum. I think that the members of this site are fairly well respected and that thier opinions hold at least some weight.
As you prev stated, your intentions is not to call the person out. Kudos to you. But I have read discussions on other boards where people called other people out and a "Black Eye" on the site has followed. Many of us have seen it on one board or another over time, it can happen.

fishndude said:
Sometimes I think BS has to be called on certain actions and since I only fish a few tournaments every now and then I wanted to make sure that I had not missed out on some new every man for himself attitude change among casual tournament fishermen.
During a Bass Champs event, my father an I witnessed an event that really tunred my stomach. The offender did nothing wrong to use but what he did to the other boat in the vicinity called for a protest in which I was ready to suuport.

During our Decker and HHJ Jackpots, we see etiquette being used. Unfortunately when there are higher stakes on the line there will be a percentage of anglers that fish with a "No holds barred" approach. Which could be what you experienced.

I hope my prev post did not send an incorrect message, hence the clarification with this post.

kp

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Sometimes I think the majority stays silent. I have heard people say things like “oh that is just old so and so and that is just how he is” and I believe old so and so got that way not because people he offended said nothing but because his friends say nothing.

Again I felt this was an opportunity to encourage dialog between people who love the same sport. Not just dialog here but when they are just talking among friends. Someone might find out how people really feel about how they act on the water, weather in a tournament or not.

To me sportsmen should be the epitome of kindness and courtesy and not the backwards hillbillies that the media wants to portray us as.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.