Bass Fishing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When and where do you deploy the top water baits? I've been trying to learn to use the pop-r and finally had a few bites but no hook sets. It was right before sunset at brushy creek in a place where the water was pretty still.
Is it advised to use when the water is moving or better when its calm?
Any other tips would be great.

I'm also interested in trying some crankbaits, any recommendations?

·
Super Moderator
2,212 Posts
At its simplest, the “where” is over the bass and the “when” is when they’re “looking up.” Low light conditions seem to work best. Jerk the popper close to shore or vegetation. On calm water make long pauses between jerks, work it faster on bumpy water.

For a novice crankbaiter, I’d suggest a Rapala F-5 or F-6 floater/diver on light line. These can coax bass to hit then when they are on the surface. Rebel has some good floater/diver minnow baits, too. You could also try a 1/4oz lipless crankbait and size 1.0 square bill.

For intermediate level crankbaiting, I’d recommend the 1/2oz Rat-L-Trap, the Strike King 1.5 KVD square bill, and any color Rapala DT6. Of course, be prepared to snag and lose these if you’re fishing from the bank.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've noticed he seems quite adept at this sport :)
I'm just getting into bass fishing, mainly doing saltwater, trout, perch fishing prior. Really enjoying it. I've caught fish on worms and lizards and brush hogs, but never anything substantial.
Hoping to catch something on top water and spinners at some point. Have had bites on a teeny pop-r, but haven't landed yet.

Thanks for your .02 on top water. I've not tried a prop or buzz bait and not sure if I know what a plopper is :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts