Bass Fishing Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Administrator
1,530 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Front page written by Marty Toohey.

Quoting Brent Berlinger, the City of Austin Aquatic Ecologist. Brent is stating that the 3000 carp have been effective but hydrilla still remains in the lake. He is quoting the 2012 conditions on the lake, saying the "first reason" for the drawdown is to help kill off hydrilla.

Brent and Marty need some help in their "research"

John, every heard of these guys,,,,,how about a voice from the Lake Austin Aquatic Task force.

in 2013 and 14, I'd catch a big Swimbait fish (above 7lbs) in every 2nd or 3rd trip. This year i went 14 straight trips without a bite. I guess the fish are too busy hunkered down Brent's remaining hydrilla.

·
Registered
764 Posts
A big thank you for sharing this Alan. My first reaction was probably like everyone else that reads this. "Are you friggin kidding me". Which makes me wonder, is COA politicians (doing a favor for FOLA) and behind this? Specifically what facts (proof) does this aquatic ecologist have to back up these statements?

1) Where did they found Hydrilla in LA. Specifically where?
2) Or is this a preventive measure?
3) If said hydrilla is there, how much per acre was identified?
4) The article states 3000 carp were introduced in 2012. Seems like they forgot to mention the other 32,000.
In 2012, the city imported 3,000 sterile carp that feed on the plant to keep it in check. The carp have been effective, Bellinger said, but some hydrilla remains. The city hopes that exposing the base of some of the plants to cool air will kill them.
Hopefully after this draw down the madness will end. I know that is wishful thinking. One can only hope.

Bassectomy

·
Super Moderator
2,023 Posts
I looked in today's paper for a retraction or correction. All I found was this:

Corrections We will publish a correction or clarification when we make an error or publish misleading information. To report an error:512-445-3851;[email protected]

·
Registered
3,211 Posts
I remember reading the original LCRA release and thinking that, because the drawdown was announced for both LBJ and LA, the hydrilla comment was there because...
1) It might apply just to LBJ
2) It might be recycled copy from a previous press release and someone was too damn lazy to rewrite it

·
Registered
487 Posts
I remember reading the original LCRA release and thinking that, because the drawdown was announced for both LBJ and LA, the hydrilla comment was there because...
1) It might apply just to LBJ
2) It might be recycled copy from a previous press release and someone was too damn lazy to rewrite it
My vote is for #2. Why do your job right if you can do it half-assed.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts