Bass Fishing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Soo .. after strapping #30 mono on my #12 reel and almost casting all of it out on 1 go :rolleyes:(yep i had 1 oz sinker, else i couldnt reach anywhere!) , i am considering buying some Kastking #30 braid.

so to the question at hand .. do you recommend using a leader for less then 8lb mono diameter equiv ? Considering Green moss color.

This leader will be on the swivel since i pre-rig all my tackle for maximum fishing and minimum field knotting :p

----braid-----(swivel-with-catch){}----leader---hook

i do catch some bass with live bait, but mainly fish the bottom for kats.

For the record i did get a whole lot of bites of that fat #30 Mono :p

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
Braid is king for spinning reels. You'll likely be amazed how far you'll chunk it with the braid.

If you're going to pre rig leaders to swivels why would you not use mono or flouro ?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i kind of had used a mono leader since thats all i got right now and rigged everything for this weekend LOL

both leader and braid #30 ... wonder which will give first.. MY HOOK, prob.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Well if you have the stuff, I say try both. Only one way to really find out what works for you. If you take someone else's opinion you will always wonder about the other option, which will mean you will eventually try both.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Food for thought, use a lesser strength leader than your main braid. If and when you get snagged, you will break off the leader instead of loosing the more expensive braid. The only time I do not use a leader is when I am flipping heavy cover i.e. punching grass. Most other times I will use a leader.
JR

1 - 6 of 6 Posts