Bass Fishing Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Swapped out the 55# Minn Kota for 80# Minn Kota yesterday and hope that gets me going a little faster. Gonna need a new battery or maybe two if I swap the one out I have now. Don't think I want lithium or even the gel. Currently have Everstart and may go with another one of those. I don't have to troll like I used to beating the banks. Which ones are you guys liking?

·
Registered
162 Posts
I've got dual purpose Deka's under my console wired to 24 volts pushing my riptide 80lb thrust. I keep them on the maintainer when not in use, and they are ~ 2 years old now, no corrosion, no issues, hold a charge and even on marathon weekends I don't notice them slowing down.

I'll see if I can get a part number of them later tonight

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You have a Nautic Star too right? I have an 1810. Is your boat the 1910? Can you shoot a pic from under the console? I only have one tray under mine and want to see how your setup looks. The cover over the tank seems like it's gonna make it a tight fit for two batteries. Someone else mentioned Deka.

·
Registered
162 Posts
actually, just put the cover on so can't get a pic tonight, there is a lot of room in my console, i could put 2 more batteries if I wanted. Do you have the moulded in rod holders, or the screw mounted plastic ones on your console? I might have the bigger version of the console.

Anyhow, when yo open the console, you can see the widest parts of the batteries. 2 trays, one is about 4 inches from the live well, the other is in front of it, with about an inch in between. there is about 4 inches in front of the batteries between them and the door, perfect for my fire ext.

I'll grab you some pics when possible.

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
I know you said no agm but I run 2 d31m optima blue tops on my trolling motor and I can run all day for 2 days on a single charge.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Previously I ran Trojans, Had them for 5 years with no issues whatsoever. I performed monthly maintenance with them with distilled water. They are about 10lbs heaver than the others. I went with them due to their reliability and stability and also I was making weekly trips to San Antonio, where the only dealer close by was. The boat had everstarts before that and they did not last me all day. So in five years I had ZERO problems with them. I ran a 36v Minnkota 101. I change my battery's out every five years period or sooner if something else should happen.

With that being said, my 5 years was coming up and I was not making trips to SA anymore, so I opted for something different, plus they were on sale. I went with the Cabelas AGM 27 series, bought three of when they were on sale and sold each of the Trojans for $45/ea. I purchased the AGMS June of 2013 and thus far they have been great, gained lossed 8 lbs per battery and no longer have to do maintenance as well.

So as of now I am very pleased with Cabela's AGM batteries and I will continue to use them until the Lithiums come down to a comparable price.

Reactions: austinjohn

·
Administrator
1,528 Posts
+1 on the Cabela AGM. When the batteries in the new boat need to be replaced I'll go with the Cabelas branded AGM. Ran them in the old boat for 10 years. If you do some detailed research on batteries you will find that there are probably only a couple manufacturers in the US. They build for everybody. One of the largest is Johnson Controls, Which I know from Building Energy Management Systems. Johnson is also the supplier for most of the auto interiors (plastics) in the US

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
All four batteries in my boat and the ones in the truck and car are AGM now. Cabela's in the boat...

I love them. I will never again perform battery maintenance or clean up an acid mess from a dying battery. My Corolla's positive battery terminal was eaten away by what looked like a hawaiian shaved ice mass of acid fuzz. Never again.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I bought 2 Everstart deep cycles from Walmart 13 months ago. Didn't get to use the boat but twice but kept them charged.One just died and won't even make a connection to the charger.
Found out they have free replacement for 12 months only, but nothing after that. I wouldn't recommend them at any price.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts