Bass Fishing Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
LBL (TL)
I took my son Tanner (9) fishing on Lady Bird Lake in downtown Austin from 6:30am - 1pm.  It was the first time he went fishing with me other than on a dock and he really enjoyed it.  "I had a good time dad, but it would have been better if I actually caught a fish"  When I hooked up with my 4th fish I asked him if he wanted to land it.  His reply was "Heck yeah dad, it'll be the only action I've had all day"     :p  He told me the best part of the day was seeing me land the 2 big ones (one on a white spinner and the other on a watermellon/chartreuse power bait worm) and seeing the snakes in the water.   I was happy because he was casting really well and I thought for sure he would hook one.  The only time he actually had a fish, he didn't set the hook hard enough and the fish got off when it neared the boat.  Even worse, he never got to see the fish since it stayed down the short time it was on.  

We also saw fishinjack camped out on the bank hunting carp.  I hope the rest of the day produced for him.

LT night and morning -
I then took my friend out at night on Lake Travis for his birthday.  We fished from 11pm - 4am, he got skunked.  I had already landed 6 fish so he was determined to keep trying.  What was worse was he actually hooked up with one the same time I was reeling my first one in, early into the night but, his got off.  

We then slipped in to a marina and moored at an empty slip and slept until 6:30am and began fishing again.   I caught 7 more in the next 5 hours, but he still hadn't caught anything.  

Then it happened, he caught a 15" bass off edge of an empty dock slip and we called it a day.  Drove back to the launch, packed up, ate some fajitas for mother's day, then went our separate ways to sleep for 13hours.

I was really hoping to have found some whites or stripers that night, but alas I was new to that lake and had a difficult time figuring out a pattern that was consistent on even the Blacks let alone ever hook a white or striper.   Where the heck were the bait fish!?

It was very odd to be fishing in 30-100 ft of water.  Being new to LT, I really didn't know what I was doing and was unsure how to fish offshore.  I will keep reading your posts and hope I can figure out how to fish areas other than casting at the bank.  

Until next time.

-Clint

· Registered
15 Posts
clinternet...I live in houston now, but I lived in Austin near Mansfield for about 4 years. The first year I fished every two weeks...picking a few up here and there...then I started talking to Ranger777 and he sure helped me out. I know you were out at night so I'm sure you worked the lighted boat docks(white lights, not yellow IMO, also the best is underwater mercury vapor lights if you can find em). Right before the sun comes up and as it does fish these docks. I like to jig up vertically and find them. As far as during the day... there are some spots on the lower end of the lake, but best fishing is in the creek arms and upper lake areas, Where do you put in. And post help in tactics and ask Ranger777. He is great about helping out anglers...also he the MAN when it comes to white bass!!!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.