Bass Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been skunked the last few times I've gone, at multiple places. Do I need to switch up baits or is it just tougher this time of year?
Planning on renting a kayak on Monday and trying my luck at LBL.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Take this with a grain of salt, since I am a new bass fisherman to these parts, but the action I was having about a week ago really shut off over the weekend. Whether that was transition to more fall weather or just fish were feeding more at night with the moon heading to full, I have no clue. I never got skunked the 2 times I hit LBL but I wasn't catching anything over 2.5lbs whereas prior trips it was more like over was the norm. Small bass were heavily feeding on small shad and shiners on top.

Im still fishing drop shots and jigs. Im marking lots of fish where I had success in the previous weeks but any bites I have seem more like annoyance strikes rather than aggressive feeding.

I only caught 1 fish on Saturday early afternoon.
Plant Fish Grass Terrestrial plant Fisherman

Here's yesterday evening from 6-8PM on LBL. Lots of perch taps it seemed, even was able to snag one about the same size as my fluke! I caught 3 LM, bunch of bites.
This bass was a very nice looking fish.
Water Vertebrate Body of water Fish Fisherman

Water Green Watercourse Fish Lake

I threw swimbaits, spinners, crankbaits, buzzbaits and a whopper popper and not even a follow. Fish that were caught were on plastics and deep.

Keep at it, I may try to fish tomorrow midday and see what's up.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the response and encouragement. I'll let you know how it goes after Monday.
I'm considering trying lake georgetown in the next little bit as well.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I've been fishing, mostly LBL (bank and kayak) pretty actively for the last 3 years. I can tell you that this is a tough time of year and mornings during a full moon also tend to be tough for me. I was skunked a couple of weeks ago and have had some tough outings recently, hence my lake of postings. I would just say if you are walking the bank - switch spots after a few minutes without activity and try different lures/colors/presentations. Most of my luck has been with soft plastics. Keep at it.

- JT

·
Super Moderator
2,183 Posts
I agree that the late summer full moon is a real bummer. I consider myself to be pretty fortunate to get some good bites recently, which I attribute to the wearing of a lucky hat. Like jc34 posted, the bass are schooling up on very small bait fish, two to three inches max. A-rigs, jerkbaits, or something with some flash, are the typical late summer lure recommendations. Of course, I’m thinking more like JT, keeping it simple and slow with soft plastics.

I saw you posted you caught a couple at Bright Lake (OSP) on wacky rigged watermelon/red flake senko. The bass are telling you brother! Don’t tune ‘em out, unless you’re just dying to catch one on that twenty dollar MegaBass lure you bought.

I’m glad you’re taking that momentous critical leap, to get off the bank. I want to stress to you the importance of a float plan and water safety. Hopefully the rental company will help you there. Your main goal should be to test your ability to safely navigate the water and return safe and sound to the dock. Catching a bass would be a bonus. Bon Voyage!

To jc34, you’re right bro, that is a very good looking bass!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Got out this evening later than I was planning but work and stuff got in the way.

Caught a fun one right off the launch near the dam and then got a 3 pounder and another small fish. All near or around redbud. Hooked a nice fish around sundown on drop shot with a 10" black worm and it came off unfortunately before getting eyes on it.

All fish were caught on a shaky head with a zman blue worm. All near or in overhanging trees.

So, what I thought was going to be a slow hour or so turned into a fun trip. You never know!

Water Vertebrate Fish Sky Lake

Water Liquid Watercraft Boats and boating--Equipment and supplies Fluid

Water Lake Fish Adaptation Fin

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I ended up at Georgetown last night off the bank at Jim Hogg. I got 3 fish on, 2 got off before I got them to the bank and one ripped my hook clean off.
I was trying a carolina rig for the first time with some trick worms, watermelon flake and chartruce tails. It felt good to get some bites and have a few fish on, just need to work on setting the hook better I think.

As far as floating, appreciate the advice. I floated brushy creek last weekend without fishing gear to remember how to paddle. Hoping it goes well Monday morning on LBL :)
Appreciate all the advice and encouragement from you guys!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OK, going to try georgetown again tomorrow morning. Try to get there as its getting light and stay for a while.
Will try the c-rig again and maybe a shaky head. If I actually catch something I'll update the bank fishing reports forum :)

·
Registered
368 Posts
Just practice this for your hookset.

Boom Goes the Dynamite

But in all honesty. With a Carolina Rig your hookset should be to reel down until you feel the fish's weight and then a nice smooth sweep back parallel to the ground. Twist your body and get that fish to move.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just practice this for your hookset.

Boom Goes the Dynamite

But in all honesty. With a Carolina Rig your hookset should be to reel down until you feel the fish's weight and then a nice smooth sweep back parallel to the ground. Twist your body and get that fish to move.
Hilarious.
Thanks for the tip, I'll try that. I think once I feel the fish I'm always worried if I don't set it right away that they will get off.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Had a nice time at Georgetown lake today. I broke the skunk streak by reeling in one guadalupe bass (dink). Had 3 more on line but they got off. The one hook I set well was REALLY set, so hopefully with more practice I'll get there.

Can't wait until Monday for floating and fishing on LBL.
jc34, any tips or good spots you want to share on LBL? I'll be dropping in near mopac at the rental shop.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Hilarious.
Thanks for the tip, I'll try that. I think once I feel the fish I'm always worried if I don't set it right away that they will get off.
The old saying is that if you get bit and then feel a second bite that is the fish letting go. With soft plastics you would be surprised how long a fish will actually keep it in it's mouth. Feel the bite reel down and set that hook. And when I set the hook it is explosive and my goal is to move that fish. Ask Jeremy I have been known to launch the small ones in the air and then keep them on plane as I reel them in. If it is a big fish I want to bury that hook.

With moving baits I just keep reeling in until I feel weight and then give it that old sideways pull hook set. Nothing violent. Unless the fish is swimming at me and then it is a race to see if I can catch up before he lets go.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, good news, I didn't get skunked at LBL this morning.

Rented an old town top water 120 PDL and loved it. Caught 2 ok sized LMB in the first 2 hours, then a bunch of bites and stolen baits but no more in the boat.

I fished drop shot (thanks for the tips!) the whole time, to try that out. After kayak fishing I don't ever want to go back to bank fishing. When I get frustrated on the bank there aren't as many places to switch to, but when nothing is biting in the yak I just pedal down the lake :)

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I forgot to mention, I'm not sure if its the style of hook for drop shot or if I'm getting better, but I did find it easier to set the hooks on this trip.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Thats great! Congratulations. There is nothing like being in a kayak and seeing bank fisherman stuck in a place. I watched a bank fisherman 2 days ago at the red bud bridge fall on a stick and almost roll into the water. Not fun or good especially when the water was releasing.

You were probably getting sunny and bluegill taps as well as baby bass. You'll know when a good largemouth hits your dropshot worm, its like you hooked a stump.

Small dropshot hooks in 1/0 size that have a slight offset kind of hook themselves in the fish with a reel up. Rod is important for dropshot I have found. I like a medium or medium light with a fast tip, 7' rod. You need to feel every bump or bottom change with the dropshot weight and then sometimes fish takes are barely perceptible if you dont have a sensitive rodtip.

Drop shot is all about doing less. I started out basically jigging the thing. Just let it be and lift your rod slowly and then reel in slack. The biggest bass Ive caught on it were when I wasnt paying attention for 1 second or basically doing bare minimum with the rig.

Experiment with different drop shot plastics too. Dont get stuck on one color. I can have a great trip with one specific color and then the next day, same spots, they dont even touch that same style/color.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Needless to say, I'm hooked... Outside of all the awesome things about it, one of the things I liked the best was when I got snagged I could peddle over top of where I got snagged and gently get my rig back instead of snapping it off from the shore.

I think I'm using #2 hooks... I'll see about finding the 1/0 size. I feel like the smaller size would be easier to get out of the fish as well.

My 2 favorite methods so far are carolina and drop shot!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Try a texas rig too. Throw it into overhanging trees and hang on!
I'll have to give it a go again. When I got back into fishing I started with t-rig (weightless and weighted) and never had much luck. I've figured out how to do the weedless rigging with the EWG hook, so I'll have to try again :)

Going to try Georgetown lake again tonight!

·
Super Moderator
2,183 Posts
My drop shot hooks are sized right between you two. I use #1 Gamakatsu and I also use #2 Owner. They look the same size to me.

A size #0 hook ( also called #1/0) is two sizes larger than a #2 hook.

Related to the ease of removing hooks, one of the best tips I ever got was how to remove a hook from a Largemouth‘s gullet without hurting the fish. Knowing how to do this removed the anguish of killing these wonderful fish and keeping the spirit of catch and release. Free the Fighter!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
My drop shot hooks are sized right between you two. I use #1 Gamakatsu and I also use #2 Owner. They look the same size to me.

A size #0 hook ( also called #1/0) is two sizes larger than a #2 hook.

Related to the ease of removing hooks, one of the best tips I ever got was how to remove a hook from a Largemouth‘s gullet without hurting the fish. Knowing how to do this removed the anguish of killing these wonderful fish and keeping the spirit of catch and release. Free the Fighter!

Thanks for that article.
I mispoke earlier, for drop shot I have been using 2/0. I picked up some 1/0 last night to try as well.

Last night at Cedar breaks I immediately caught one dink, then nothing for an hour or so, then the banks got swarmed with swimmers. Headed over to Jim Hogg and side hooked a sunfish. Beautiful sunset and ok day fishing. I really want to get off the shore more though.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts