Bass Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I pull up to 360 bridge Wednesday morning and started getting the boat ready for a guide trip. As I'm plugging in my graph, I see this guy reeling like crazy between the pillars of the bridge on the bank. Of course curiosity hits me and I wanted to see what he latched on to. I walk over as he's dragging his "stringer" (yellow rope) out of the water and he had a HUGE bluegill (at least 2lbs and loaded with eggs) in one hand and the "stringer" in the other. I ask "how's it going this morning?". He responds "pretty good. Been here for a couple hours and caught a few nice ones." I said "mind if I see?" He says "no problem." This guy proceeds to pull up a rope that had 2 other HUGE bluegill and 2 BEAUTIFUL, EGGED UP, LARGEMOUTH BASS. I said "do you mind if I weigh them with my scale?" He said "yeah sure. I forgot mine this morning and I'm curious if they weigh as much as the others."

First LMB 4.7#'s
Second LMB 6.8#'s

I asked what he planned on doing with them and he said "I'm gonna eat them this weekend along with the 4 I caught Monday." The 4 I caught Monday??? I had to ask what the 4 weighed he caught Monday and he made me throw up a little in my mouth. He said "the biggest one weighed 11.8 and the others were between 4 and 6#'s!!!!!" I was thinking to myself....Please help me to understand how you keep a LMB that big!! For the love of God!!

I begged this guy to put the LMB back and also offered to take him fishing for free if he'd release the LMB. His comment "NAH DAWG, I LIKE HOW THOSE TASTE." I told him I would buy both fish for $20 and he could buy 20#'s of catfish. His response "NAH DAWG. MY BOYS ARE COMING TO TOWN THIS WEEKEND AND WE GONNA HAVE A FISH FRY."

HOLY FRICKIN BUCKETS!!!!! I know it's not illegal BUT OMG it made me sick to see and hear!!!!!

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't remember if it was a "little" truck, but it was dark blue in color!!

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The 2 bass were already bleeding and dying from the rope ripping on their gills. I still feel sick thinking about it.

I texted Clint right when I experienced this and I remember another line the guy gave me........I don't understand catch and release. What in the Sam biscuits do you not understand????

·
Registered
9,796 Posts
So sad.

He must be using bluegill as his live bait,too.

Most bass are CPR at ramp so, that area must have a lot of nice bass hanging around it.

·
Registered
10,702 Posts
So sad.

He must be using bluegill as his live bait,too.

Most bass are CPR at ramp so, that area must have a lot of nice bass hanging around it.
Maybe a new policy should be implemented in which big fish are not released right next to easy access to those that don't understand C&R? Take the time to boat the fish upriver to either where it was caught or some safe area.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I guarantee you I would have boated them somewhere say at least 2-5 miles away from the bridge!!! BUT I wasn't given that chance.

He had small bluegill, grub worms, and dead shad for bait.

·
Registered
352 Posts
I feel ya man, somebody wont stop taking till its all gone. What the hell his kids gonna catch 20 years from now after how daddy taught em how to fish?

·
Registered
629 Posts
damn thats crazy. I havnt tasted bass in over a year, I dont mind harvesting a few smaller legal fish for dinner every once in a while. but bigger fish with the "genes" and with eggs definately need to be released.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Yea it sucks but if he was legal, those fish were legal. I know most fish for sport but we can't forget the people who dont. My grandpa fished for food and always kept a fishing license. None of us like to hear it, but its the breaks

·
Registered
762 Posts
I think I saw that guy on Wednesday morning. He was a nice guy and I talked to him a bit. He showed me the fish on the stringer. My thought was good for him. He caught a few bass for a fish fry. Absolutely nothing wrong with that and I hoped he was going to get a few more. He was getting enjoyment out of the lake just as everyone else. I seriously doubt he is going to hurt the fishery by taking a few fish out from under the bridge.

·
Registered
470 Posts
it is hard to watch someone hurt a sport we all love so much. you tried to change his mind but some folks just don't get it. I can't remember the last time I even thought about keeping a bass for the pan. just seems that crappie and whites are out there for the eating not the bass. all we can do is try to explain why c&r is importatnt when we get the chanse. we wont be able to save them all.

1 - 20 of 89 Posts